Pages

Tuesday, 10 July 2012

HOUT BAY MARKET


Hello Everyone,

I hope you are all rested after your weekend... I went down to Durban for my God Daughter's Baptism, but I will tell you all about that later... Today I am taking you to Hout Bay Market. You will find the market right behind Mariner's Wharf in Hout Bay every weekend and it is a must see.


The entrance is rustic and fun and bright and it just invites you to come and see what lies behind. You can here all the chatter and above it all are the strains of some song from days gone by.


Lots of lovely stalls and hand made crafts... from aged frames, to wire work, jewellery, wood work, sculpture and so much more. I love these paint peeled frames, they have so much character.


We have so much untapped talent in this country it just blows my mind every time I go to a craft market like this.


How cool are these words. I got another one for my studio... CREATE.


Of course I could not resist these bird cages. Made out of wood and so delicate with hearts hanging inside of them I bought two of those as well. :D


Of course I could not return home without something for my babies, this is where we got their rugby jerseys... :D


This lady was so obliging and so happy for me to take a photo of her in her oh so very cute chefs hat, that she had recently bought in America after seeing the movie "Ratatouille" I think that this is probably one of my favourite shots.



This had to have been my favourite stand... margarita's and cranberry mojitos. Yes please!


Don't they make you want to have one? Fresh cranberries, crushed ice, white rum, mint, lemon... Is your mouth watering yet? NO!


BUT, this is my drink of choice... frozen margarita's and they were so good. They must have been I went  back four more times just to make sure. :D


The food section of the market was dotted with long tables and benches so that you could sit and enjoy the wide variety of foods on offer, and each table had a little something filled with glorious flowers. Oh I loved this place.


I had a lamb roll that was ...mouth wateringly good. Rare roast beef, baby tomatoes, onion and lettuce on a fresh Italian roll.


Good company, good food, good drinks, fabulous day. Seriously, what more could a girl want?


Simon even loved it there and was more than happy to spend some time just wandering around taking in all the sights, sounds and tastes on offer. It really was a wonderful day.


On my rounds I spied this glorious altered pig called Violet. She was raising money for charity and she was such a beauty. Just look at those eyelashes, enough to make any girl weep...


So much eye candy. Poppies are one of my favourite flowers I love their delicacy, and their vibrant colours and the unopened pods are just gorgeous.


In terms of food they had everything from this glorious fresh seafood, to full on breakfasts, to curries and all manner of wraps and decadent deserts and cakes. Cheeses and preserves to home made sweets, and everything in between.


and then... around one of the corners I came across this young man who was entertaining the crowds. I put money in his hat and he changed position and I stayed to watch him because I couldn't see him breathe or even move a muscle... how do they do that? He stayed like that till someone put money in his hat then he moved again. I was completely enthralled. I mean that really takes some stamina. He was so good and probably the thing that will stay with me about this particular market.


Some truly wonderful clothing and jewellery. There really was something for everyone.


Smoke break :D was a small section out the back with concreted blocks and chairs to sit on and it was full of people and so vibey. In case you haven't got it yet I really really loved this place.


                                                       

Finally, a goodbye from the cutest little thing :D so from me too - till next time. Goodbye!





2 comments:

  1. I so love your travelog's, Val, and this one is no exception...in fact, I rather like all the stops along the way. You are an amazing photographer, never ceasing to amaze me with your eye for color, spark and interest! Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val this looks like a great market! I could wander around it for a long time too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete