Pages

Saturday, 14 July 2012

THE RIDE OF YOUR LIFE

Clint organised a ride on a 1920's train from Cape Town to Simon's Town for us all for fathers day this year. We flew Storm down to be with us and early on Sunday morning we made our way to the train station.  I was my first time in a train... I have been on undergrounds overseas but that doesn't compare to this. This train runs every second Sunday and we were so lucky to have it on fathers day.


I was so excited and took loads and loads of photos. I am convinced I was born in the wrong era...all at once I could imagine busy platforms with women in crinoline skirts and men in top hats.


The doors to each of the carriages...


I mean seriously, how cool is this


Can you imagine back in the day when they did long journeys, having to sit like this all the way. I loved the windows they slid down into the side of the carriage.


Up ahead preparations for our journey we full steam ahead ;)


Her name is Jenny and she is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. She is loved and very well cared for and the people that work on and in her are so passionate about her.


Looks like we have a new train driver :D


Then that magical moment when the whistle blows and we slowly start to chug forward, my heart was in my throat and I thought I would burst with excitement.  Just look at all that steam billowing out. I loved the sight, the sound and the smell. This would be a ride to remember. 


The momentum picked up and soon we were lulled by the rythmic, chooka chooka, chooka chooka.


Nothing but the train and miles and miles of track.


Beautiful scenery and scintilating company, this would be a day to remember.


The train makes two stops, the first one is a Kalk Bay, where we dropped some of the passengers, and the second at Simon's Town.


She certainly was the centre of attention with everyone clambering to get photos, and soon enough we were off again.


I took loads and loads of photos of her, her wheels, workings and everything in between.



What is it about fishing boats that is so appealing, they are old and worn and smelly but there is something about them that I just love.

 

Lame I know but I just had to take a photo of Simon under the Simon's Town sign. Amazing what amuses people :D


We took a walk into town to find somewhere to eat, no-one of us thought to book anywhere and were hoping that it wouldn't be a problem on fathers day. 


Simon's Town is the Naval Base and you can see the large navy ship in the harbour.


I also have a thing about churches, well I have a thing about many things and this is just one of them. It was little and quaint and oh so pretty.


We would have loved to have gone to the naval museum but we just didn't have enough time. I never realised just how much there was to do in Cape Town.


A town full of quaint shops and pubs and eateries. We decided to go to the meeting house for lunch as a very dear friend introduced me to it a few day earlier.


How civilised to be drinking Pimms on a Sunday afternoon in Simon's Town.


This was lunch and I am very sorry to report that it looks much nicer than it tasted. I think that they were probably overwhelmed by the number of people that were eating there. Just as well we had to walk back to the station after that lunch.


Finally, before we boarded to come back home we got a photo of all four of us. A reminder of a perfectly wonderful day.

Laters




3 comments:

  1. Val, what glorious day! I love that train and its wood interiors, beautiful! Thanks for sharing your adventures. I love travel and SA may get on my list at this rate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah Carol, you are most welcome. I love the feedback from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have spent many a happy holiday in Simons Town and Fishhoek, we love to go down every year, when the whales are there. But never done this train trip, in fact did not even know about it. Your photos are lovely some thought, I just point,click and hope.

    ReplyDelete