Pages

Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Alcohol Ink Tutorial

A couple of weeks ago when I went to see Sally Hardie at Memory Square and she showed me some cards she had made using metal shim, a cuttlebug, some paint dabbers and alcohol inks. They were so lovely that when I got home I started to play too but I wasn't happy with the results so I went to see her again today for a demonstration to see why mine were different. In fact they weren't that different.

I was first introduced to alcohol inks by Nikki Zipp a few years ago when they first came out and I really liked them and of course I bought all the colours. We had used them on the special shiny white card and also on acetate. So today after I got home I started playing again. To see the different effects I could get.


For this first one I cut a piece of acetate to size and put it into a folder then through the cuttlebug. Because the folder I had chosen was a leafy design I chose rust, sandal and meadow as colours to use. These were then dropped all over the acetate, and then blended together using a blending tool to move it all around, and then left to dry. I like how it turned out - all kind of autumny.


This one was one of the ones I tried after I saw Sally the last time. I used metal shim and a folder that has a cane pattern on it, and painted it using acrylic paints this time, green, red and a caramel colour and stippled the paint all over the shim with a stiff brush and then left it to dry. Once it had dried I used a sanding block to remove the paint from the raised areas... I wasn't sure that I like the dullness of it all. I kind of wanted it to be all shiny - so I also covered it with a layer of mod podge too, but it didn't really make any difference.


This next one I just embossed and left it as is so that you have something to compare it too. Now I am going to walk you through it step by step.


Once you have embossed your design onto the shim, just cover it with a light layer of acrylic paint. You can use a brush and paint or, like I did, a paint dabber, and then leave it to dry.


For this one I chose meadow, cranberry and sandal inks because it was holly leaves.


Start by dropping a few drops of your first colour where you want it to go. I chose to do the leaf areas. 


Then add some drops of your second colour, the red. Around the berries.


Then finally add some of the last colour and here you can use as many or as few colours as you would like.


Blend all the colours together with a blending tool and you can blend as little or as much as you like, again, depending on the look you want to achieve.


Once you are happy with the way it looks...


You can spritz it with some alcohol blending solution. I love the way it makes the colours go. Like salt onto water colour. A really interesting look. Then just leave it to dry for a few minutes.


Once it is dry you can then sand it with a sanding block. This will remove all the colour off the raised areas and makes the pattern really stand out. Pretty neat huh? 


I will make this into a card later on.


In the meantime I am going to show you a layout that I did use this technique on. This was the first shim one I did and I used a cog folder and used lettuce, salmon and aqua alcohol inks directly onto the shim, so I didn't paint it first. The effect was really lovely. (I think you will really see it if you can open the photo). I then cut it into two tags which I used on the left hand page at the bottom and the right hand page at the top just under the title. There were a couple of pieces left so I used it to make a small tag on the right between the two photos and to make two small banners.

I loved the translucence of the inks directly on the shim. I used the same colours on the chipboard cogs but I think I should have painted them first because most of the ink was absorbed and so the colours were not as vivid. But I am happy with the way it turned out.

I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial, and I hope you are inspired to give it a try. See you soon. 




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing Val! That is a really wonderful artsy I would like to try once I can get alcohol ink :) I love your layout {gorgeousness}!
    Hugs,
    Asmah

    ReplyDelete