Pages

Friday, 19 October 2012

WASHI TAPE TUTORIAL

Hello everyone,

Once again the weekend is nearly upon us and today is my LAST day of domestics, well until Stephen goes on leave next year, and I am so happy and tonight we are being taken out for family dinner by my son Clint, so double yay.

I am still trying to find my feet here with my blog and what I really want to use it for so today I thought I would do a tutorial. We were shown this at the SA Scrapbooking Expo this year and I love it and have used it on a few of my pages. Here in SA scrapbook stores come and go and sometimes are far away and because of the number of scrapbookers there are here we don't always get the cool stuff or when we do it is really expensive. So I love it when I can make something myself.

I love WASHI tape! I mean who doesn't? I haven't seen that much of it here either and when I have I grab it. Sometimes though it is just not right for your page. This tutorial is on how to make your own washi tape.

I wanted to put washi tape on this page, which I have posted before, and none of the ones I had were quite right. See it down there in the bottom left hand corner.


Well this is how you make it. First of all assemble all your requirements which are... patterned paper, cellotape (any width, depending on what you want), a ruler and craft knife, scissors and a bone folder.


Lay a strip of cellotape down the length of the paper, obviously the bigger the paper the longer the piece of tape you end up with. I start and finish the tape off the page and attached to my mat, just keeps the paper still.


Using your bone folder, rub the tape onto the paper to ensure that it has completely adhered to the paper.


Once that is done cut your paper right up against the cellotape so you end up with a strip of taped paper.  Snip the tape ends off close to the paper too.


Lay the strip in a little water for a minute or so, making sure that the paper is wet through.


Then peel and rub away the paper from the back of the tape. You will need to do this carefully or else you will tear the tape.


Once all the paper is off the tape it is opaque and on the front side of the tape you are left with the paper pattern.


Lay the tape on a piece of paper towel to dry it off.


Once it is dry you can then use as desired. 


This for me is one of the nicest tutorials, because I now have access to any tape, any time, any where :D

I hope you enjoyed this and will give it a try.

I have completed another double page for the LOAD challenge over at Let's Scrap. When I was in Ireland one of the places we went to was Lismore and they have one of the oldest and definitely one of the most beautiful castles there. I took loads of photos and this is the layout I created to show them off.


I used MME - Laundry line paper because it was glittery and the colours were just perfect for my photos.
I used a sketch from Let's Scrap and added one more photo on the right hand side page :D 


I have taken a couple of close ups so you can see the details.


I found in my stash these Prima flowers and I just love them. The felt perfect for the layout... all viney and mossy.


Where the four photo met I covered a chipboard circle with some of the dot paper and added one of the roses and some leaves and a curly thing. Because I had used the green cardstock on the left hand page for the journally I wanted to bring it in on this page too so I made a little stamp which I tucked in behind the flower.


I also found this 100% genuine chipboard tag in my stash and the colours were perfect so I added a piece of ribbon and tucked in among the flowers.


I also added a tab in the green to the extra photo that I added to the layout. An now my layout is complete.

Thanks for taking a look.




3 comments:

  1. Now I have learnt something!!! The other way is with your Xyron sticker maker machine! I will def. try this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this technique we've learned!! Such a easy method to create something to co-ordinate with your paper. Great job on this tut, Val!~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. That is a great way to make things match!
    Your layouts are beautiful. I love the papers and flowers. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete