Pages

Tuesday, 23 April 2013

SOUL SCRAPPERS/OUAS CHALLENGES

Hello Everyone

I have been scrapping up a storm :)

Debbi Tehrani from CSI is hosting a guest design spot challenge at Soul Scrappers this month. It's another lovely case to crack, and I thought I would play along. Here is the file.



I used this sketch from OUAS, and the theme for the month is "The best day of my life" So I decided to combine the two :)


When I read the case file I knew exactly what I wanted to do. Here is how I solved the case.


Scheme - I used all of the colours.
Evidence - Banner, gingham, stripes, birds, mixed letters, paint drips, white background, food accent (photo)
Testimony - IW - Celebrate, Document a party.
My journalling is on the back and reads :

The best birthday party I have ever had was celebrated last year in Ireland with my youngest brother and his family. It was August and my birthday is in January and my brothers in February, but we had been talking about our childhood which had not been particularly happy for either of us... I asked him if he ever remembered having a birthday party because for the life of me I could not remember ever having had a birthday party. (I had my first one at 45) I remembered birthdays, and presents but I could not remember a party, where I got to invite my friends, have cake, play games and get presents. He thought about it for a while and he could not remember a party either. We knew that both of our other brothers had 21st birthday parties at home, but when I turned 21 I had already left home and was living far away from my family and by the time my youngest brother got to 21 my mother had passed away many years before and the family was scattered all over Africa, so he never had one either.
My sweet sister in law was horrified listening to us talk, she started to cry and got up and left the room. The next thing we heard was her car start and she drove away. Cliff and I were both very concerned about her and were beginning to really worry when she drove back in about half an hour later and walked straight past us with a bag in her hand. She went into the kitchen and started to unpack the shopping bag.  She had gone to the shops and bought everything that she needed for a birthday party. The yummiest cupcakes, sweets, crisps, champagne, candles, party hats and blowers. She laid the table, and we all sat around it while they sang happy birthday to us and we got to blow out birthday candles. She was horrified to think that a child had gone through life never having had a birthday party and this was her way to make it right, and she did. It was the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me and I will never forget it and I love her so much. I am so blessed to have a sister like her.

While I was at Soul Scrappers I entered the Photo Challenge which was to photograph your pets... I entered two photos - one of my beautiful cat Hansa and the other my baby yorkie Karma... I won with my photo of Karma. If you click on the link you can check out all the entries... I was very happy :)

Thanks for taking a look. Be back tomorrow with the new sketch challenge at Let's Scrap. 






12 comments:

  1. How sweet of your sister in law! That must have been a very special birthday party.
    Missing out on birthday parties is a big thing. Glad she made up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a super layout Val and so wonderful that you could eventually get to enjoy a birthday party! I am all for celebrating birthdays and having friends and family round! ;-) Love the banner and that gorgeous photo.... super page! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your layout is awesome, Val. I love the way you take the "evidence" and make it your own. For instance, several smaller bits of gingham rather than one large one (the tablecloth). But, your journaling got me again...a tearful moment here. Your sister-in-law is a blessing in your life! Thanks for sharing such personal things with us through your layouts! Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooohhhh, what a wonderful LO! There is so much I love about this LO, where to start? How about the colors you used, love the mix of yellow, red and black. I also love all the banners you used along with making you pic a polaroid, awesome!
    TFS!
    ClaireR
    www.ThreeWatersCreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! Fabulous page with perfect color combi and great journaling! Thank you so much for playing along with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn it all Val...I have tears in my eyes...& what a LOVELY SIL you have to do that! I had ONE party as a child. My folks were poor, so Mum went 'all out' one year - I was 10, so knew how hard it was for her. The whole class of girls in my year - all 15 of them were invited. And we ended up having a fight, with 2 girls taking different 'sides' & gathering their troops behind them. It was awful - I couldn't do anything about it & that was the end of any more birthdays for me!!!! Oh well......so maybe you didn't miss out, eh???!!!!! LOVE your clean & simple looking going here - the eye goes straight to the cakes. Brill:):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Val, as I sit here weeping for your difficult childhood, I celebrate the fact that you found your voice and speak so eloquently of your experiences. Your Sister in Law sounds like a a beautiful soul and your page is the perfect banner to fly your words of hope and healing xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could give your SIL a great big hug! It breaks my heart that anyone would be denied the childhood memories of birthday parties and celebrations with friends. The thing I love about your stories about the hard times, though, is that you never sound like you are pitying yourself and you always give off the vibe that we can ALL overcome. It is truly inspiring, Val. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Val, I had to stop reading for a while as I was getting a lump in my throat. What a truly genuinely beautiful thing to do, your SIL deserves a group hug from us all! As always, you've just nailed everything with your clean and wonderful page! Thank you so much for sharing this unforgettable moment with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful page. Love the crispness of the white!! Beautiful story behind it too. Thank you so much for all your comment support - I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aahhh!! So gorgeous and so striking!! LOVE the yellow and white with just those pops of colour...stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the bright colors you used! look fab and yummy! thank you so much for playing with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete