Pages

Saturday, 18 May 2013

CASE #72 REVEAL AT CSI

Hello everyone

It's a bit chilly here in Johannesburg today - I think winter may have arrived :D It is Saturday morning which means that the new case file over at CSI has been revealed. Lots of eye candy in the gallery too.

Here is the new case file, and I just love the colours of this one.


Here is my take on the challenge.


Scheme - I used all the colours.... (in the photo to orange splats look way darker than in real life and the kraft looks greyer :( )
Evidence - Birds, metal kraft background.
Testimony - 5 Things.
Journalling on the back of the layout reads:

1 I love to travel and I am lucky enough to be able to go overseas every year.
2 I was 45 the first time I went on an overseas holiday and that was to Mauritius and suffice it say that was an unmitigated disaster for me, but I put on my big girl panties and changed my outlook on the world outside of Africa went overseas a second time and have never looked back.
3 I am lucky enough to have visited many countries and I am looking forward to visiting many more in the years to come. 
One of the places I have been too many times is Ireland, mainly because that is where my brother lives and I try and see them every year if it is possible, but also because it is just such a beautiful place. Sometimes I get to go there for a holiday and other times it is a detour on the way home, for a quick visit. Last year I got to spend six weeks there and travelled north and south and east to west. We would just get in the car and go. One of the places I did get to see was the Rock of Cashel. A collection of medieval church buildings – St Patrick’s - and fortresses set on top of a limestone outcrop rising out of County Tipperary’s Golden Vale. It is a significant historical site and for 600 years was the power-base of the kings of Munster. I have never seen a view like this one before it was magnificent and as I was wandering around I spied this ruin way down in the valley and took some photos through one of the gates in the wall. Turns out that this magnificent building was Hoare Abby, a ruined Cistercian monastery I think she still stands majestic and proud even in her abandonment.
4 Turns out I have a thing for abandoned old buildings. I wonder about all the history that the walls have been privy too. The things that have been done and seen within those walls.
5 I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. ~Robert Louis Stevenson


Not all who wander are lost is also true for me :)

Here are some close ups of my layout.


I started of by mixing some gel medium with inteference red powder and stenciling the brickwork. Once it was dried I doodled around the edges and coloured the bricks with watercolour paint. The paint splats were added too. I cut the fence in half and painted it using Tim Holtz's distress paints which are wonderful to use and if you spritz with water while they are still wet they blend beautifully together. I used some watercolour paint to add some shadows and the doodled on them too.


The borders were punched using my Martha Stewart punch and then layered. The shell rub-on was added too.


Once the layout was all put together I added the rub-on quote and word, doodled around the page and added the flowers and butterfly and the little metal bird.

Thanks for taking a look :D




7 comments:

  1. This is soooo lovely...that fence & those 'splats' are my fave bits...& of course, your journaling!!!! I love traveling, too - but haven't done half or even a quarter of yours:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great page Val! Love the wall, fence and punching! You did a great job with the journalling, as always, and is wonderful that you can travel and have travelled! It is soooo very good for the soul and one always comes away with something learned and gained! Beautiful page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story and photo! If I could,Ireland is also one of my places I would love to visit...in the meantime I'll have to do it through your eyes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, thanks so much for the heartfelt comments on my "Angie" post! Mwah! Now, to you layout here: I just love travel layouts, perhaps because I don't travel that often, and, when I do, it's usually not to far. Loved reading about your trips to Ireland to see your brother and family. My favorite part of this project? That metal hummingbird! But, where is the seashell? Hugs! Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Val, it makes me long to go back to Tipperary and the Ring of Kerry, to Galway and all the spots in between. Love that little metal bird :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a lovely page Val! Just loving those splats!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh....this is totally the most awesome thing I've seen on background work ...like ever!

    ReplyDelete