Pages

Saturday, 25 May 2013

CSI - CASE # 73 REVEALED


Good Morning Everyone

I hope that you are all having a good Saturday. It is a beautiful winter morning here in Johannesburg. The sky is blue, the sun is shining and the birds are happily feeding in the tree outside my studio. A truly perfect morning. Sigh :)

It also means that the new case file has been revealed over at CSI, which for me is the best place to play, the weekly challenges are awesome and really push you to the limits. Loads of eye candy in the gallery too.

Here is this weeks beautiful case file. The colours are just so beautiful.


I started off using this sketch from OUAS and then my layout kind of developed a mind of it's own - so I just went with the flow. When your MOJO has been MIA you don't want to mess with it too much and chase it away again.



Here is how I solved the case.



Scheme     - the colours are all there.
Evidence   - Circles, clocks, birds, upside down ( the top aqua circle negative).
Testimony - Document an outing.
The journaling (on the back) reads :

Living in Africa we are blessed with all kinds of getaway places and terrain all within a days car ride. We have beautiful mountain resorts, where you can hike and climb mountains or just enjoy the majestic beauty, we have lush green countryside in the Midlands to rival that of England or Ireland, we have AMAZING game reserves for those who like to animal and bird watch, we have deserts for those who want to ride the dunes and we have the sea, vast stretches of white beaches and rocky outcrops that drop down into the water... and then we have Cape Town that has the sea, the mountain, the beautiful country side, the animals and the wine farms.

I am NOT a bush person, I don’t like scrubby terrain and the dust and the gogga’s. I don’t commune with nature as one in the bush – for that I need to be by the sea. To smell the salty air and hear the crash of the waves as they hit the shore. The sight of a sunrise or sunset on a long open beach fills me with a love and happiness so great that it hurts. I don’t have to be in the sea but I do have to be able to see it. It was the only criteria for me when we bought our holiday home. I have to be able to see the sea and not just from the roof through a slit in the trees... I want big sea and big sea I got. The saying “ Near to the sea we forget to count the days” reflects exactly how I feel when I am within sea range.

But still my favourite getaway is to the fairest Cape, so cosmopolitan and hip, streets of beautiful antique shops, top notch restaurants, guided wine tours, unrivalled shopping, and the fishing boats... I just love the fishing boats and the buzz at the harbour when they bring their hauls in. For me best of all is seeing the Capetonians wandering along the strand with friends, lovers, pets or just enjoying the alone time. It is also the only place in South Africa that really gets to experience late sunsets in summer. Now that Simon has expanded his business to the Cape I get to go with him on business trips. I know I am the luckiest girl ever and I love that I am so spoiled. I would not trade this for anything in the world.

Here are some close-ups of my layout.


I used a plain white cardstock for the background mounted it onto a teal, the little tear reveals a punched border. The patterned papers are from Imaginesce and had all the colours for this challenge which was great because they were a sea theme too. I painted the clock with gesso and paint then inked and covered it with diamond glaze, then sprinkled on some teal and orange micro beads. The bling was added once it had dried.


I kept the negative of the cut circles because I had seen the amazing Heather Jacob use them on some of her layouts and loved the look of them. Thank you Heather for your inspiration. :D I also printed the quote from the stamp I used onto the photo.


Here you can see the stamped quote. The title was just coloured using distress paint. I had such fun doing this layout. Sometimes we just need to play and not over think things. :D My words of wisdom for today:D
I hope that you have a wonderful weekend wherever you are and whatever you are doing :D

I am also entering this layout into theScrap Africa Challenge for this month which is to use chipboard on your layout.

Thanks for taking a look!








18 comments:

  1. Oooo-Ooooo-Oooo...NEW FAVE! LOVE it & soooo relate. Bush leaves me cold...but the sea, & the seaside towns & atmosphere.....perfect relaxation....& you've sooo captured the feeling here with those colours & circles & stripes.....I can just see the umbrellas on the beach:):):)!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another gorgeous layout Val1 Love your doodling around the elements...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome details Val, loving all those sweet touches and that glorious photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you really rocked this challenge. I love this hybrid version of OUAS. Your love of the sea comes through with so much clarity, I can almost feel the sand between my toes. Beautiful Art :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am at my "Cape," that being Cape Cod in New England with my sister as she recovers from surgery. I just read your journaling to my sister, and we both marvel at the pictures your descriptive narrative conjures up for us. Thanks for sharing this! Your layout, as usual, is spot on for this case file. You are right in that the color scheme this week is great, and you have created magic with it today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your take on the Challenge as always. Your journaling is always so interesting to read. Glad your MOJO hung around for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Val this is gorgeous. You always manage to make the sketches look so much better. There are many times when I am not inspired at all by a sketch, but then I see your take on the sketch and I totally want to scraplift your layout. This is one of those! I don't believe your mojo is ever far away. How much time does it take you to create a layout like this? It is simply stunning. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous color combo!!! Love your take on this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beautiful piece Val. I love the soothing colours and how everything is so well put together. Your country sounds lovely...I hope to visit it someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous use of colour! Love it. Thanks for playing a Scrap Africa :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. This LO certainly portraits a Beautiful Cape day doesn't it!!! Lovely bright colours and great work on your chippie!!! Thanks for using a Scrap Africa challenge as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Val, a just gorgeous layout and love the colour combo! Thank you for taking part in the chipboard challenge at Scrap Africa :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! LOVING the colors!! Thanks so much for playing along with Scrap Africa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful lo!! thank you for joining us at Scrap africa. Channa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous page Val and it just smacks of sea air and absolute serenity! The layering and photo are super and makes for a really super page! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Scrap Africa! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful layering and I love the colour combo! Thank you for playing along at Scrap Africa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great palette (I just smell the sea and feel the sand on my feet!) & an interesting arrangement of elements!
    Thank you so much for playing along with us at Scrap Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Am almost with you there, hearing the waves that I also love but over here they are more like gentle lapping against the soft, round boulders of our archipelago. You have worked these colours beautifully as you always do with any colours. From starters I noticed your excellent layering and eye for beautiful symmetry. Such an eye catching page Val!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete