Pages

Friday, 3 May 2013

GROUNDED

Hello again

I have another layout to share with you today. I am going to try and play along with as many of the National Scrapbooking Day challenges (which will be taking place every day for the month of May) over at  Let's Scrap, there are so many fun challenges and some wonderful prizes to be won. So why don't you take a look and play along too.

The first challenge posted by Tiffany Duvall was 'to create a layout using a quote from your favourite book, it can be the title, or somewhere on your layout, let the book inspire the colours and details on your page'.

Here is the layout I created for this challenge. The book that inspired me is the Prophet by Kalil Gibran and the quote I used on my layout says  "and forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair..."


I had fun with this layout and used black and kraft cardstock and one piece of Prima - Devine paper which I cut up to use. I used a photo of my feet in the sand at Uvongo...

My journaling (on the back of the layout) reads :

I knew when I read this quote that it was the one I wanted to use, and I knew exactly what photo I had to use too. I have read ‘The Prophet’ by Khalil Gibran many times and it is my go to book when I am feeling un-glued.
A few years ago I went through a crisis of faith, or more to the point lack of faith, and having grown up in a rigid Christian home I rejected Religion of any sort as soon as I left home, and I found myself questioning “what am I doing here?” “what is the meaning of life?” “is there a God?” and I had started to explore the different religions when I found this book of Khalil Gibran’s and read it and loved it, and it gave me much needed direction in my life. I now have a very strong spiritual faith and I believe that everything is connected and that nothing can survive in isolation.
Now everyone that knows me really well knows that I NEVER EVER go barefoot, indoors or out and I am well aware that to be truly grounded I need to stand on the earth and it is a very conscious effort on my part to do this, except when I am on the beach. Then I will walk barefoot so that I can feel the warm sand between my toes and feel the water crisp and refreshing. Everyone who knows me also knows that I am NEVER EVER without painted nails and toe nails, for me there is nothing better than pretty hands and feet...
This photo reminds me of all these things and how good it is to be alive.


I mixed up a concoction of gel medium, pearl glitter and interference red powder (which gives a slightly pinky shimmer) and stenciled diamonds on to the background page. This dies clear and you are left with a little sparkle and shimmer which reminded me of sand in the sunshine. I used a portion of the image from the paper and cut around the butterfly so that I could slip my photo underneath.


I also cut out the clock and the big butterfly. The splats are made with a Tim Holtz distress stain - Black Soot and I stamped the swirls with black ink.


I also cut two triangles of the banner to use here and wrote the quote onto white strips of cardstock.. I added some bling around the flowers too.

Thanks for taking a look. :D 





9 comments:

  1. This is absolutely gorgeous Val!! Love the colours and the design is fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A subtle shimmery background that totally does remind me of sand. I don't relate to your reluctance too go barefoot, as that's my favourite way to relax. That makes your journalling and self reflection even more powerful. Kahil Gibran is a favourite of mine too. Wonderful art :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think only on your blog would I fess up to this, Val, but I will admit to sometimes only "skimming" a blog post and checking out the photos before leaving a comment. I regularly "read" many scrapbooking and art journaling blogs, so, if I want time for myself to create, I have to do it that way. But, my dear friend, I never *ever* skim your blog posts! They are just too full of juicy words! I actually think I could read your post, not look at the pictures, and still "see" what you have created. This post is a great example! But, I did look at the photos and noticed those toe RINGS! A great post today, with both serious and fun components. You inspire me to be a better person, a better artist! Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not possible to 'skim' cos the journaling is sooo interrelated to the LOs...I'm the same at Kay!!! And this is my new FAVE...LOVE it..the fussy cutting, the bg, that colour combo & what a photo. I fell in love with 'The Prophet' many, many years ago....great wisdom in there:):) Gorgeous, Val...glad you re-found me, too!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love , love this page Val! I love the sentiment and I love the page itself! The styling and everything is just perfect! A definite favourite for me! May your feet lead you places and your heart be your guide! Blessings to you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous quote Val! I love your layout and the journaling. It has such a "free" feeling. The title is perfect as well. Love those toes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowza!! Again, all your little details come together for an absolutely stunning presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this page! I actually have the same exact picture of my toes in the sand and have yet to scrap it! You make it look so amazing!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this and your journaling. I also love to feel the sand between my toes at the beach, makes me feel young and free!

    ReplyDelete