Pages

Thursday, 2 May 2013

NEW CHALLENGE AT LET'S SCRAP

Hello Everyone,

Well it is May :( Not only does that mean time is going by way too fast it also means that this month - for the whole month - we - at Let's Scrap are celebrating International Scrapbooking Month and if you go there you can see all the challenges and games that you can join in each day. There are also some wonderful prizes for you win.

I also have this weeks sketch for you. 


Here is my take on the sketch and as you can see I have changed it quite a bit to suit my photos. Sorry Jennifer Russel :) DREAM ON...


I used the photos from a beautiful old church in the Midlands that has been converted into a guest house. The papers are from Tres Jolie which were soft and beautiful just like this place.


I knew I was going to change the layout because of my photos and I could not make them into square photos because I would just lose too much of the detail.. so I kind of got a guide as to where I wanted my bricks to be and I mixed up a paste of gesso, paint and sandstone texture paste which is very sandy, and used my brick stencil. Once it was dry I went over the bricks with water colour to add more depth.

I used the backs of most of the papers because I didn't want a pattern to overpower my layout. The border is Martha Stewart's Picket Fence which was perfect. I used the stripe side for this.


I used my TH dies to cut these bracket tabs and just made them a bit wider so that I could add a quote stamp. The pink ticket is washi tape as is the arrows. I stamped various tickets on the different papers and tucked them into the flowers.


I used washi tape at the top and bottom of the layout as well.  The Dream On is chipboard, that I left as is and just inked the edges.

All the other tabs are cut with my TH die cut. They are pretty cool and easy to use. I shadowed the big ones.

Lastly I cut the journalling mat with my nestabilities and hand wrote my journalling on there. It reads:

On our last trip to Lords of the Manor we discovered this little church that had been sold and turned into a self catering guest house. The land had been de-consecrated and the property sold. For me it was just love at first sight. I have my heart set on having this church as my home. It is set on top of a slight hill and has the most amazing views. This one on the right is from the main bathroom upstairs and this is what you see from the bathtub. Even the grave yard doesn't freak me out. How cool would it be to live here.

I have another layout for you too this week because I had some time to play along with one of the challenges at Let's Scrap hosted my Tiffany Duvall, and the Challenge was called "April showers bring May flowers". Now who doesn't love spring? I know I do because the first rains come to wash away all the dust from winter and the new buds appear on the flowers and trees and my garden is a riot of colour. The challenge was to use colour and either B & W or sepia photos, flowers, buttons and handwritten journalling. Here is what I came up with.


I used papers from Authentique "Seasons" I know perfect right.


This is the sketch that I used as inspiration for my layout... :) 

                                   

I layered up some banners and doodled around the edges of them and added this this circle chippie together with the flowers. The title is balsa wood and I left it as is ... I didn't even ink the edges. I printed out flowers from my garden in colour and in black and white. The papers came with a sheet of goodies to use like the bird on the vine above and the stamps and tickets below.


Here  you can see the banners beneath the one photo . I also used a scallop punch to create a border which I also doodled on.



These were some of the words that came with the papers.


My journalling is written on this little tag that came with the papers and reads :

"I love my garden... But in spring there is just something so special about it. Maybe that the rain has washed away the dust from winter or that I am eagerly awaiting the buds on the flowers. This year the azaleas were so pretty! I have them in all colours but my favourite one is this one."



Here is a look at the top of the page, just some more tickets, stamps and flowers ... I added a couple of little buttons and also a pink bracket with some bling on it.

Thanks for taking a look and I hope to see you playing along with some of the challenges for ISM this month. They are a lot of fun and there is something for everyone.









5 comments:

  1. Love both of these layouts, Val! I am a big fan of your "church" photos, so am definitely drawn to that one. Although you did stray a bit from the original sketch, it is still recognizable to me! I love all your embellies and, of course, the journaling on both layouts! You are the best "journal-er" in the world in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your layouts are beautiful! So many pretty details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY! You have been BUSY.....love both of these, but I'm a Franco-Anglo-phile..so the top one....YUM!!! Loving all those photos. I've still got to scrap my Year of 2012....should get motivated & use that sketch, it's a beauty...we'll see....:):):)!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two stunning doubles Val....I'm not sure how you manage to create so many beautiful pages, but they are a delight to look at and and if you have any left over hours in your day....then I'm first in line...OK. !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 beautiful projects and the second one makes me so long for Spring! Love the styling....you always do such a great job with quite a few photo's! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete