Pages

Tuesday, 18 June 2013

ART

Hello Everyone,

I have a quick post for you before I leave on holiday. Finally everyone better in the Thorpe household and the excitement has set in. I managed to do this layout at 2.45 am the other morning when I couldn't sleep and I just want to put it up now before I go.

Here is the latest sketch challenge from Scrap Friends. I really love their sketches and this one was a bit of a challenge, because of all the fussy cut arrows, but I wanted to stick to it quite closely....


Here is my take on the sketch. The hardest thing for me was the circular photos. Trying to find something that would fit my theme and the circles.


Here are some closeups...


Once I knew what my placement would be on the page I started off by spattering the page with watered down black paint  and created the line tracks with a pizza wheel drawn through the paint.



 I then stamped the saying that says ...
"As long as we have memories, yesterday remains. A long as we have hope, tomorrow awaits. As long as we have art, today is beautiful."
which was a bit of an epiphany for me.


The circles were painted with a silver distress paint and then sprinkled with black micro beads. The little silver disk under the twine was stamped using a script stamp.


I added some little black tulle roses and a couple of strips of washi tape too.



Then lastly I added the little silver heart, the buttons and bling and of course everything was doodled and finally I added a few stamped arrows just because I could.

The journaling on the back of the layout reads.

For months now I have been feeling overwhelmed by a feeling of lack of creativity. There just seems to be nothing there, I sit down to start something and I have nothing. I can't choose photos, I can't find papers, I don't have the right embellishments. Then I sit and browse for inspiration and all it seems to do is to show up the areas where I feel I am lacking. What has happened to me? ... Since when did I become this jibbering wreck that needs constant validation for the layouts that I produce. What happened to this being a hobby that I just could not live without. That I just had to do every day? What happened to the enjoyment of the process of creating a layout?
Then this week in a sick household when I couldn't sleep at 2.45 am the other morning I got up and came down to my studio and sat down at my desk... I printed out the layout, the photos, found the paper and just started. What had changed? I realised that I was the problem, that this is NOT a competition for the prettiest page it is not a race to see who could get the most pages done and the only person putting that pressure on me was me...there it was.
I am not doing this for anyone else. I am doing this for me and for my family so that they will know who I am and where I came from. I want them to know that there were days when I found it hard to get out of bed and put one foot in front of the other. I want them to know that there were days when I soared. I want them to know that it is ok to push yourself but it is not ok to cripple yourself with self doubt. I don't know what they really think when they look at the layouts, they always say the right thing... but I DO know what they feel when they read the stories, and THAT is why I do this. So I have picked myself up, dusted myself off and I am back in business.

Thanks for taking a look and I will see you all when I get back.





22 comments:

  1. Wow that journal just hit home for me!!! Gosh, I cannot explain how I am feeling right now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wow Val, truer words were never spoken..."since when did I become this jibbering wreck that needs constant validation for the layouts that I produce".....hit me right in the stomach, phew, intense!!! Oh, what a marvelous layout you made here in the middle of the night, beautiful photos and love the circular feature!!! Your work is always special in my book, always fresh! Have a wonderful holiday, enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this for so many reasons Val :) Please believe me when I tell you that I feel the same way as you do more often than not. Sometimes I even feel that I HAVE to scrap even when I don't feel like it. WHY?? It's crazy! You are seriously such a lovely person with both feet firmly planted on the ground and I love that about you :) You keep it real! LOVE your layout my friend:) It is beautiful and your take on that sketch is 100% perfection!! Have a GREAT TRIP and a wonderful holiday!!Will miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, so instead of crying....which you often make me do with your journaling...you've given me shivers down the spine. I could wax lyrical about all the elements & how they work so beautifully together....but obviously, OBVIOUSLY if we scrap from our heart...then it shows!!! And this, my dear Val, is simply the BEST page I've seen anywhere for a long time. Not that you need validation:):) Oh, & thanks for joining us at Scrap Friends. Glad it helped out:):)!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often find myself getting caught up in the quest for the feature or the mastery of technique. And for what? Are our grand kids going to care about that years from now when they inherit our pages? Nope. The stories are what it's all about and you are a master storyteller, Val, AND you create gorgeous art in the process. Thanks for reminding me what really matters. Have a FAB vacation!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to experience an epiphany just before going on holidays. I love this page, as I love all your pages, for it's authenticity. And because I'm a journal junkie first second and last, your words pack a punch. What an amazing gift you leave for your loved ones; a genuine piece of your heart, your thoughts and feelings, the inner core of you. Bravo, Bravo :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was directed here by Lizzy Hill when she commented that we were both writing the same thing on our blogs! I absolutely adore your layout but I'm hearing your heart when you say that scrapbooking is supposed to be about capturing our memories, and not about hard work to make something that others will approve of. More fun, less pressure I say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a wondeful holiday Val! We'll miss you !! You did so great with the sketch!! Beautiful layout - so glad you got your mojo back on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another beautiful and heartfelt layout, Val! I think as artists we often struggle with self doubt, and, like you, one day I realized that if I am doing this for no one other than me, it is still worth it! Surprisingly, it just may be that your great, great granddaughter may explain, "Oh, my! I am just like my great, great grandmother!" How cool is that???

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this LO. The arrows and colours all work so well together. Very heartful journalling too, very brave of you to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is nothing worse than scrapping "for others" hence I don't do DTs which puts the pressure on, it is bad enough being a teacher where you have to produce something worth teaching nearly every week...sometimes I am "last minute dot com" cos I just don't have the inspiration for the stuff that I have enough of to be able to use in a class! That is what I find stifles me. Being forced to create with the paper or embellies that I have 10 of...not what I want to play with...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Val...your journaling hit home!!! Must get my daughter to read this...she gets caught up in the I have to and not I want to.
    I confess I have been feeling rather the same and after reading this I feel so unburdened!!! I am now going to do a layout with no pressure. Thank You!! And your layout is beautiful as always! Have a great holiday.
    Leanne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH! WOW! Val this is SO AWESOME... Love your take on the sketch!!!
    my moto is If I love the out come of what I created then that is all that matters... Yeah! Sure I see other creations & think OH! If only could do that.. BUT! then I take inspro from that We all have different styles & I think EVERYONE work is FAB... x

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow! your take on the sketch challenge is soo cool! really like this layout. thanks for playing along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you got your mojo back!

    Thanks for your comments on my CSI page. I like your style, so I following your blog now.

    Have a good vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy moly ! Val, This is totally gorgeous! So much stuff to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Toot toot Val!!!!!! Congrats on the feature over at scrap friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. First let me say WOW! Love your page! As always!
    Second - WOW! Your story of YOU and this Creative Scrapbooking process totally hit the target right over my little scrapping heart! So many times I compare myself and my "style" to others and feel lacking in my creativity, and stumble over pictures and papers too...but like you say, in the end it is about MY MEMORIES, and what I want to leave behind for my family to remember OUR memories. Love, Love, Love your words of encourement! That for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Val, I was sure I had commented on this page..but maybe not! I know I can relate to your journalling and was feeling very much the same way you were, a little while back and came to the same conclusions you did! It's nice to have people like one's pages, but it's so important to like it yourself and really feel that you have documented something you would like your family to appreciate! So I always try and keep that energy with me when creating a page..and it's amazing how then others feel that same energy too! You're an awesome creator...that energy and passion is always there...sometimes it's just about finding the way to tap into it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm here visiting from Scrap Friends to tell you how much I like your LO! Your journaling speaks to probably all of us scrappers. I know I can definitely relate. I'm glad you got your feelings off your chest & have learned how to enjoy the hobby again.

    ReplyDelete