Pages

Wednesday, 5 June 2013

AUTUMN LEAVES

Hello Everyone

On Saturday the new challenge for Scrap Around the World was posted, and today I had some time to complete the challenge. :) The idea behind the challenge is to be inspired by the mood board and to use the sketch as a starting point.


I love this mood board because it is all about cameras, and I love my camera, and taking photos it has become an extension of my arm. This weekend we took the Steam Train from Pretoria Station out to Cullinan where the Diamond Mine is. It was such a fun ride and the little town is beautiful and really bustling over the weekend with all the shops and restaurants and we had the most wonderful day.  I took 450 photos :) Yes I really did.

Of course we had to get their early so that I could take photos of the trains and tracks before we left ... as I was wandering around the station I got this photo of a whole pile of old railway sleepers stacked up underneath an oak tree and the leaves had collected on the 'steps' made by the sleepers. 

When I was going through my photos trying to decide what to scrap I knew it would be this one because it is totally the kind of "stuff" I love to shoot.  I really take notice of everything around me now whereas before it would not have got a second glance. I took my inspiration from all of the cameras and the top photo because it looks like a wintery background...:)


I added the quote 'Winter is a second Spring where every leaf is a flower" by Albert Camus


I started off with a white background and added the gesso squares. Once it was dry I sprayed the paper with some Lindy's Stamp Gang mists and got this soft background which has a slight shimmer to it. Once it was dry I randomly stamped the page with a woodgrain stamp and a chestnut colour box ink... it is very light - almost like a watermark stamp.

Here are some close ups of my layout.


You can see the woodgrain stamp and see the coloured squares. The papers I used for this layout were all from my scrap box and really fitted in with the colours in the photo. I created a little banner with bling in between.


I stamped and embossed the large oak leaf and tucked it into the flowers and the tickets too. I swiped the tips of the flowers with gesso to make them a little more shabby. Between the strips underneath the flower I made random lines of glue going down and added micro beads just for something different.


I created a little cluster at the bottom with some more leaves and a film strip. The chipboard letters and birds were sprayed using the Lindy's Stamp Gang mists and then inked. I added little bling eyes to the birds too.

I kind of kept to the sketch because I really liked it and it worked for my photo and what I wanted to do.

I also randomly coloured some of the squares in autumn colours. The splats were made with Tim Hotlz - Frayed Burlap - Distress stain.

My journaling is on the back of the layout and reads...

Winters here can often be very cold, dry and brown. A bit desolate looking and it is often hard to see the beauty but it is there if you just take the time to look. When I saw this stack of worn old railways sleepers under the oak tree I was taken aback at how pretty it looked. The tree was bare and the sleepers were covered in a layer of pretty yellow, orange, red and green leaves that fluttered in the gentle early morning breeze and my initial reaction was dead leaves crackling in the wind... but as I was taking the photos I started to think that the colours were so rich and earthy and that as with everything the cycle of life turns. There is nothing we can do about it but we can enjoy and appreciate every stage of it.

Thanks for taking a look and if you leave a comment - thank you I love to read them.



25 comments:

  1. Val, this is just gorgeous! WOWZERS! As usual!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful layout! Thanks for joining in at SATW!! Awesome photo and sounds like a fun day out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very, very beautiful Val-Belle!!! I adore the colours and the pic is sooo something that I love too:) Your background came out amazing!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Val, could you tell me what Gesso squares are, I teach scrapbooking in our small town, but do not get to learn new techniques as I do not get to go to classes much. I only learn from the internet and others. I would appreciate it if you could share this technique with me please. You layout is stunning and the picture fits in beatifully with it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the background you have created, Val...And the photograph looks GORGEOUS!
    Thank you for inspiring us at Scrap Around the World with your wonderful page!

    ReplyDelete
  6. STunning, Val - love the artsy photo & the whole thing looks like it came together for you perfectly:):) THe colouring is superb & I LOVE how you used the 'prompts'. You know the gelatos? I do love them, cos they're easy to use, but they are really just watercolours in a different form...so you're not missing out too, too much!! Thanks for your 'love'...must be frustrating being a country where that sort of thing is simply not available & post costs are a KILLER no matter which country, it seems!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The challenge was perfect for your photo. I love the gesso squares and the tiny bits of random colour on them. Sounds like a wonderful day out....and yes I can understand 450 photos during an outing sounds about right to me!!! The clusters with the stamped oak leaves are a delight....fabulous all round :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another beauty Val! I can't believe you started with a white background. I would have totally believed this was a background patterned paper. Great colors and banner with your pic. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow wow wow this is pure delight Val, love the way you became inspired by the mood board ... super duper gorgeous, so rich and earthy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice page, thank you for joining SATW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The photo is just stunning and your page is fabulous! The styling, the background, the bits, everything is just perfect! You really did such a great job with this challenge! Your love for photogrpahy is showcased in this page, as well as your love of crafting!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH Val! This is SUCH a pretty piece! So very lovely! I love staring at work like this - so many little elements to appreciate! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this is stunning!!! Beautifully executed details. I used the same quote (slightly altered) on an Autumn layout just recently, Autumn and winter colours are so lovely. Thanks for joining in at SATW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soo beautiful page, thank you for joining SATW!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow this is beautiful Val!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Again, my friend, our seasons collide and I see you thinking Autumn! But what a beautiful photo! It is just such a simple photo, but full of detail and untold stories! You have beautifully captured the mood, the sketch and the soft and tender resultant layout. Bravo! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. awesome page, I love the clusters around! Thank you for playing with SATW!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh Val! that background really is something special!! Love that quote too, just perfect. Beautiful beautiful work as always! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at SATW!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love how you created your background, and I love reading about your process Tx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome work!!! I loved your story, it's clear how much this moodboard inspired you...and this LO, so dreamy and elegant! Thanks for playing along at SATW!

    ReplyDelete
  21. SUCH A BEAUTIFUL LAYOUT!!!GREAT WORK!!! Thank you for playing with SATW!

    ReplyDelete
  22. such a pretty layout with great photo; I love this colour palette

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great layout ! Thanks for joining in at SATW this month

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello val, what a beautiful layout, i just love the delicate earthy tones! I'm here to invite you to take part in the Epic Anniversary Event at Scrap Around The World - there is a special challenge to chose the ultimate winners from all the past winners and featured designers, with over 1000 USD worth prizes!
    Have a wonderful day :)
    http://scraparoundtheworld.blogspot.com/2014/05/may-2014-challenge-13-celebratory-mood.html

    ReplyDelete