Pages

Sunday, 9 June 2013

CASE #75 REVEAL AT CSI

Hello everyone

This is posted a little late this week because I went down to Durban to watch the rugby. Now those of you that know me know that I would rather poke my eyes out with a blunt stick than watch sports of any kind. However... a friend of ours has a box and invited us to go down and join them there so I agreed to go. Well did we have a fun time or what. I got loads of photos, it was such fun to watch all the people that were there and we all had a party of note. It has been a long time since I partied like that and I have to say that for once in a blue moon it was a whole lot of fun.

Anyway here I am with this weeks beautiful soft palette and being June the feature for this month is Weddings... Here is the case file


Here is how I solved the case.


Scheme - the colours are all there
Evidence - Lace, flowers, distressing, jewels, heart, gold.
Testimony - Document a wedding.

My journaling (on the back of the layout) reads...

Life is a very funny thing. We think we have all the answers but in truth we know nothing. I look at this photo of mom and dad on their wedding day, so young and I am sure full of ideas and plans for their life and I know from experience that the reality is very far from the dream.

I know that Pops and Gran didn’t want mom to marry dad, he was 12 years older than her and had a reputation for  being a bit of a party animal and a ladies man. They were married for 25 years before mom died at 46 but she had been really ill for a very long time and he looked after her and gave her everything that she needed to make her life a little easier. I think that he was out of his depth with a sick wife and four kids and he buried himself in his work, leaving home at 6 in the morning and returning at around 7-8 at night.
What I do know is that he loved her and he loved his kids and family always came first. Everything was an extreme for him, partying, drinking, working and then finally religion. Mom was just too sick to be anything I think she just fought so hard to put one foot in front of the other despite agonizing pain that had her crippled. She always put on a brave face and I only ever saw her cry once.

Now that I am older and (hopefully) a little wiser I wish I could have those years back. There is so much that I would like to say and do differently. Most of all I just want to let them both know that I now understand that “You do the best that you can at the time, with what you have at your disposal” ... It is so easy to say I would have done things different. Now I know that in those moments you just want to make it through. My wish for them is that they had moments of happiness when their dream became their reality and for them to know I love and miss them both every single day.


The background paper is a taupe colour from Bazzill and the papers that I used are from Kaiser Kraft. The strip at the bottom of the paper had this ruler on the other side and so I used it so I used that for a few reasons...their wedding was on 31 October 1954 and mom was 21 when she got married. I left the chipboard raw and just sanded the edges, the ampersand is a gold metal one, and the butterfly is made with burlap and I put some gold glitter onto it.



To bring in a bit more of the peachy colour I used flowers and a piece of washi tape. and for the gold I used the button in the middle of the burlap flower, also a little metal flower and the heart and the bling. There is also a little bit of left over lace ruffled inside the flowers.


I love that quote and so I stamped it at the bottom of the layout underneath the banner, and finished it off with some bling. All of the added bits were doodled around too and distressed and inked. 

This was a wonderful colour palette for me to work with and not colours that I use too often.

Thanks for taking a look and if you choose to leave a message - know that it makes my day :D





5 comments:

  1. Wow Val..this is gorgeous!!! What a beautiful palette :) You did an amazing job here my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely use of the palette & your journaling says it all...if only we could have older heads on younger shoulders & learn not to judge when we're young!!! LOVE that flower cluster - the hessian one & those flourishes...yum:):) Have a wonderful, wonderful holiday:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely lay-out. Everything in it just works.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work here Val! Love the colours here & you are adding some awesome texture!! I would have loved to have met up with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate to what you're saying about having a gentler view on this the older we get. When we're young we always see things either as black or white, nowadays things have more of a greying tinge. This is a wonderful take on the case file, just as always. Just beautifully executed in every way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete