Pages

Sunday, 21 July 2013

SCRAP AFRICA CHALLENGE

Hello Everyone,

Today I have my layout for the Scrap Africa challenge which is hosted this month by Marelize Frisby and her challenge is to create a patchwork background.

So, here is my layout for this challenge. MOM...


I used papers from Graphic 45 in these lilacs which just happened to be my grandmothers favourite colour but I don't have a photo of her and I do have this photo of my mother, one of the only ones I do have of her, and so I used that. Combining two things from two of the women I loved most.


I created my background by cutting up squares of the various papers and putting them all together like a patchwork and as my machine is not working I created some random stitches around the layout so you get the idea of sewing, and I chose to bring out the peach of the flowers for the stitches. The quote here says:

All that I am or ever hope to be I owe to my angel mother - Abraham Lincoln


I created a flower (Petaloo) cluster and added some gauze and some pearl bling. The butterflies were cut using my Martha Stewart punch and  the quote on the banner says:

It's her beauty that captures your attention. It's her personality that captures her heart.

My journaling (on the back of the layout) says:

I don't have many photos of mom, they were all burned in a fire by a disgruntled employee, but I got this one from her sister a couple of years ago and it is one of my favourites because it reminds me of a time before she got so sick. A time when she was young and happy and beautiful.

It scares me a little that I can't remember her face, or her voice or how it felt to be hugged by her. I wish I had taken the time to get to know her instead of being so angry because she was always sick and couldn't do things like the other kids' mothers. It is only now that I realise just how strong she was and how determined she was to do as much as she could to keep our family life as close to normal as was possible for her, and I was so determined to push her away and forge my own path in life alone and without help from anyone. I was so angry.

I would give anything to see her just one more time. Time enough for me to tell her that I am sorry, sorry I didn't realise how sick she was and that I didn't do more for her and that I loved her. I want to be able to talk to her about her life and her struggles and mine. I want her to see her fine grandchildren and for her to know that I did something right. I want her to see that I have made a good life for myself and for my family. I want to hear her say how proud she is of me. I want her to know that even though she has been gone for 31 years I miss her every single day. I love you mom xox

Thanks for taking a look.


12 comments:

  1. A beautiful colour combo for this challenge. I don't think I would have been brave enough to put orange with purple but it's a triumph. A beautiful photo of your Mother and how hard it must have been for her to be ill when her family needed her. You write so poignantly of your sorrow and regret; of your loss and your longing for her to still be in your life. Thank you for sharing this part of your heart. Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweet girl...this made me teary eyed!!! Thank you for opening your heart to us...I hope your Mom is looking down at you and appreciates what and who you have become! You did a great job with our challenge Val...loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Val...this is such an awesome layout and I just had to cry a little after reading your journaling....:-/...it touches my heart and makes one think about the important things in life..thank you for sharing! And thank you for taking the time to enter this into the challenge at Scrap Africa :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, Val, sometimes the layout wins and sometimes the journaling wins! Today, they both tug at my emotions because they both have come from your open and vulnerable heart. I share your regrets in my own relationship with my mother, who, sadly took her life when I was in my early 20's. But, I do believe, for both of us, we can find solace in believing that they somehow know what beautiful, strong, loving and giving women we have become. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, wow, wow...what a stunning page Val! Love everything from the colour to the beautiful details and the super photo of your Mom! I see a lot of your face in hers! Your Mom sounds like a super lady and you are more like her than you probably know..and I am sure she is with you everyday and would be extremely proud of you! Your life is testament of hers...
    Thanks so much for sharing this page with us at Scrap Africa...it's a beaut! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning colours...I don't like purple, but you rock using it..perfect patchwork & such heartfelt journaling...some things we really DO wish we could change...but that's life!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGoodness...where do I start!
    This is just beautiful..in every way. The colours are gorgeous and so special as they are your grandmothers favourites...the photo is just beautiful...and your journaling is so heartfelt (brought tears to my eyes). Im sure your mum would be super proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a totally beautiful layout Val. Not just for the exquisite work you put into it but more for the love that also went in. The page is stunning and your journalling touched my heart. Beautifully done, Val. Your Mother would be very proud. ox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another gorgeous layout Val! Wow you are on a roll for sure!! Placing all those little squares would drive me round the bend. I can spend hours on a layout, no problem, but measuring???? Nah!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank-you so much for playing along with our "PATCHWORK" challenge at Scrap Africa Val. Your work is lovely!! Smiles, Rene' :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow! This is just beautiful. The colours, the design, the photo.. everything. Thanks for playing at Scrap Africa :).

    ReplyDelete