Pages

Saturday, 10 August 2013

CSI #84 HAS BEEN REVEALED

Hello Everyone

It is Saturday morning here in Sunny South Africa and we had our first rains yesterday, there is NOTHING better than the first rains of summer even if they are early, cleans away all the dust of winter and everything smells so clean. I hope all of you ladies (from SA) had a lovely Women's Day yesterday. I spent it with my family :D always the best for me :D

Saturday also means it is reveal time for the new case file at CSI and there is another gorgeous case to crack. Here it is.


This week we also get another lovely sketch to work from by Em Starface.

Here is my layout.


I solved the case how???

Scheme - the colours are all there.
Evidence - Anchor/nautical accents, stripes, fabric, trim, circles.
Testimony - My journaling (on the back of the layout) says...

Simon and I have been blessed with a wonderful life here in Africa where it is not easy because of politics, racism, poverty and crime but we love it here and even having traveled overseas extensively have not found anywhere else that we would rather be. Last year we decided it was time to revisit all that South Africa has to offer and although we have been north, south, east and west you forget just how varied and how beautiful our country is. Last year, this time, we went to Cape Town to visit my son who was living there for six months to open up their business in the Cape. We spent 10 wonderful days with him and he took us to the most amazing places... It was one of the best holidays I have had. This photo is of the harbour at the Victoria and Alfred waterfront and we were on a boat leaving the harbour on our way to Robin Island to visit Nelson Mandela's home for 27 years.
We left the harbour early in the morning it was a glorious day, clear blue skies, the sun was shining, the water was calm and everything was so sparkly and clean. As we were leaving the beauty of the Cape made me catch my breath. This photo is truly a perfect moment captured in time. The quote on the layout says - 'Life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.' That was exactly how I felt as I looked back towards the shore, trying to remember every sight, sound, and smell. I still feel that way when I look at the photo. This whole day brought about a whole load of conflicting emotions and feelings, it is hard sometimes to comprehend that there is another side to this beautiful country that we call home. It is hard for me to accept that we may not be able to save it, and that all this will be lost forever if we can't get a non-corrupt, greedy government into power.

I have some close-ups for you to see...


The papers I used were perfect for this case and I am useless with product names because when I get my stash I unwrap and pack it away and I try to keep the strip at the bottom of the papers so I know whose it was but this time I guess they got tossed... I want to say Authentique because of the feel of the paper but I really don't know :P I punched the edges of the two strips using a scallop punch and over the join I added a piece of material trim. The only thing I did on this layout was to ink and distress the edges... I do try and keep as much stuff as I can from packaging etc if I think I will be able to use it. The chippies were cut from a long strip that had flowers in it and they were different shapes so i cut them out and tucked them behind the photo.


Instead of using four photos I used this gorgeous photo of the V & A waterfront in Cape Town and cut it into four pieces... the first time I did it I raised one of the panels but I didn't like it so much so had to print out the photo again :D I made the flowers using circle punches and also added some other flowers too, I really like them... I think I need a couple more circle punches and of course I added some bling,  :D 


I put some dry wall mesh tape on either side of the photo mat on either side, gives a really cool look. The arrows are just cut from the bits of paper left over as are the little circle flowers I made. I doodled around all the edges too.


I found these little nautical buttons in my stash so I added them and gave them a lick of gesso just to mute them down a little... make them a little less plasticy feeling... and added some banners with bling. The quote was stamped straight onto the photo mat and then added some doodled boxes around some of the words.

Thank you so much for stopping by to take a look :D Enjoy the rest of your weekend.




15 comments:

  1. I love this - it really took my eye over at CSI. too....that photo is AMAZING! And I really like how you cut it up:):) Can't help you with what paper...I'm sure someone will!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I can't help you with the paper either Val but your LO is fabulous!! Love how you cut the photo and love all the layers underneath. Also love the banners and the flowers you made. Everything is just gorgeous!! Absolutely love it!! oc

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your take Val! Just GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is a stunner, Val! I really love how you've used one photo, but cut it into the long strips like that...it is a beautiful photo too! Amazing journaling once again (I think I need to start journaling more on the back of my layouts, like you do. I've been wondering how you add the journaling if you've used a patterned paper for your background? I'm guessing just stick a plain piece of paper to the back??) Gorgeous colour combo....I should try to squeeze this one in this week! Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I love how you solved the case... AWESOME layout!! OH! and those HM flowers are SUPER CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning page Val. I love the slices of photo and your lyrical words to describe this beautiful harbour....I don't know the name of the papers either. I thought the striped one looked a bit like Basic Grey....but not sure. Hope your head is feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the way you have displayed the photo,very effective and clever. Have to try it some time. I also love the colours you have chosen as they have an oceany feel ...and of course I love the Cape

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabulous page and love your story :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Val, you know I am a big fan, and I love your work and your style, but this one really touches my heart. For me, it is Cape Cod in my home state of Massachusetts, where my sister lives and we are lucky enough to visit often! Technically, I love that you have cut a photo in 4's rather than use 4 different photos. Also, very creative the have turned your arrows toward your photo, rather than away from it as in the sketch! You rocked this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome page, Val! YOur layering is exquisite...every little bit of this is perfectly placed and just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this layout!!Cool flowers and design!xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did such a great job with this page Val...everything is just perfect! The photo is stunning and I love your styling! I looove the Cape and this page has just reminded me why! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your page Val. Beautifully put together and fabulous layers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely page! Great idea gessoing the plastic buttons!! It's always hard explaining to others why we live where we do but we are Africans. Tell a French person to leave France for example - not easy...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is beautiful, love how you have split your photo.

    ReplyDelete