Pages

Wednesday, 14 August 2013

HEROES

Hello Again,

It is Wednesday which means the new sketch over at Let's Scrap is out and it is a cracker of a sketch this week.


I really love how versatile it is :D

Here is my layout. HEROES.


I know, I know I can't always follow the sketch but you can see the design I just changed the sizes and sides of the photos and moved one or two around because I had so much I wanted to put onto this layout. :P

I used a beige cardstock and the papers are Farmhouse and I love them, some flowers, rub-ons, brackets, stamping and chipboard letters :D

My journaling (you know where) says:

The American Cemetery and War Museum can be found at Colleville-sur-Mer in Normandy and is the final resting place for 9 387 brave young Americans who died during the Invasion of Normandy on June 6, 1944. The Americans sustained the biggest loss of life in Normandy, and among those buried there are the two sons, Theodore and Quentin (although Quentin was killed in WW1 his body was moved to next to his brother), of President Theodore Roosevelt. Also buried here are the Niland brothers on whom the movie Saving Private Ryan was based.

The cemetery is located on a bluff overlooking Omaha Beach which was one of the landing beaches of the Normandy Invasion and covers 172 acres, of  breathtakingly beautiful grounds. When we walked up the steps which takes you to a half round section to your left (the top left photo) and there in the middle of this half circle colonnade is a 22 foot bronze statue called Spirit of American Youth Rising from the Waves, which is truly magnificent... if you turn to the right there is a long pool that goes down towards the little Chapel. To the left and right of the pool are just thousands of graves marked by white marble headstones that just hits you and it is truly shocking. All pristine and perfect in row upon row upon row.

We have all heard the stories of the second world war and seen films portraying the loss of life, and the hardships endured by these brave young men, but it is only when you are there that you realize the magnitude of it all. It made me feel ill that these young men were conscripted and sent off to war and were just slaughtered as they got to the beaches, and not only the Americans but anyone who fought against the Nazi's. I sat there looking as far as I could see at all the graves and wondered how I would have felt if they had taken my son and he hadn't come home. I don't know how you get over something like that. The horror of it all hit me with a physical pain that was hard to shake. The absolute beauty of the cemetery and the absolute horror of what it covers will stay with me for a very long time. :(

Here are some close-ups of my layout.


I added the rub-ons in the corner then placed the flowers on top.  I also used some little black photo turns. 
I had this poem from a friends' sons funeral and I just love it and so I used it here on this layout... it says:

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.
Mary Elizabeth Frye


I put a strip of ribbon over the join and I added a stamped quote here that says:

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us...

 

I created some splats on the creamy paper using my Tim Holtz distress stains... I love how they look and it was only after the layout was done that I realized after that the splats with death maybe wasn't cool but anyway.

Thanks for taking a look.




16 comments:

  1. Love the splats Val, how did u get it so perfect. Please share. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the splats Val, how did u get it so perfect. Please share. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful two-pager! Love the photos, splatters, and poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sketch seems adaptable and your choice of colours compliments the photos well...When reading your journalling, I was reminded of two full days we spent at the War Memorial in Canberra...the enormity of loss and grief is beyond comprehension. I can't imagine the impact on a family whose loved one did not come home. Yet conflict continues all around the world today. Heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you have adapted the sketch for your photos. And war is so heartbreaking and it still continues....you would think us humans would learn....I love that poem too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like the sketch to me, if you don't look too close!!!! Really nice one - great memories, as always & I like those splats behind it all:):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I certainly can see the sketch in there & this is a fantastic take on it. Love your informative journaling and the colours you've used. And yep, great splats...how do you get them so perfect???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the splats are cool for that very reason. Gritty art is always best! My uncle died in that war. Mankind is so wicked it's depressing...great job Val!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your take on the sketch and the splats are sooo cool!! I love everything about this layout Val. Any war is totally horrific and to lose someone you love that way must be horrendous. We should all be very grateful for the sacrifices made by these men and women, no matter where in the world we come from. This layout you created is a wonderful tribute to them. Thank you..oxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic double pager! I love the strong colours and design!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous work here, love all the photos, you do great double pages :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi There Val ... I have had a wonderful & inspiring time scrolling through your blog ... Wow I love all your LOs ... my fave is ' Time' love the use of washi for the chevrons ... 'Heroes' is a beautiful tribute to the men lost, .. 'Lest we forget' .. hugz Ax

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful 2 page spread and beautiful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning page Val, love the colouring and photo's...you really do create so beautifully! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh those ink splats are DIVINE!

    ReplyDelete