Pages

Saturday, 24 August 2013

NOTRE DAME

Hello Everyone

Welcome to the weekend. :D

I have the new case file for you over at CSI and this week it is such soft pretty pastels.


And... here is my layout.


Here is how I solved the case...

Scheme - the colours are all there.
Evidence - scallops, art mediums, stripes, architectural accents, tie something
Testimony - journal about a city, hand-write you journalling

My journalling (on the back of the layout) reads:

Although I really loved the photography course that I did I am sometimes still completely overwhelmed by it all. There is so much to learn, all the technical stuff and the settings on your camera and what each of them does and how they all work together, rules of composition, light – probably the most important thing as this can make or break your photos and then above all it also helps if you have a good eye. OMG my mind was scrambled before I had even started. Even though I have an automatic option on my camera I just can’t seem to go back to it when I know I can get the best out of every photo, but from left to right to up and down EVERYTHING changes and you have to reset every time. Shutter speed, ISO, Aperture, where is the sun, is there shadow, portrait, landscape, have I amputated limbs wrongly, is the horizon straight, have I got an interesting perspective. I think being a really good photographer is an amazing thing, to be able to take shots that literally take your breath away is the ultimate. BUT... for me, I want to be able to take the best photos that I can, at the time, with whatever I have at hand. So if I am out sightseeing in the rain or the midday sun – what I must not take photos because they won’t be great? NO! I want to take photos whenever and wherever if I see something that speaks to me.
Recently I had a crisis of faith about my scrapbooking, I was always comparing my layouts to others and feeling like I had fallen short. Then in the middle of one night I asked myself why I was doing this? The answer – because I have stories to tell and I like to make pretty things, and while I realize that there are always going to be those who don’t like my work that is okay I am not doing this for anyone else. I am doing this so that my kids and their kids will know who I am and what I cared about. I had the same crisis of faith with my photography, I knew that there would be people looking at my photos pulling them to pieces because they were not perfect, but as with my layouts I want my photos to tell a story too, and so I will do what I need to do to get a photo that helps to tell my story.
While we were in Paris – I was feeling a little overwhelmed by the constant noise and activity of my family and I took myself and my camera off for the day. The weather was awful but I was alone, I could go wherever I wanted and I wanted to get photos. One of the things that I love most about travel is architecture. I love buildings – all kinds of buildings and as I came up to Notre Dame I was completely over come with a sense of drama and beauty and in that moment the rain stopped and the sun peeped through the heavy black sky to illuminate the cathedral and I was so taken aback that I nearly forgot to take the shot.
Although I am not a religious person I do have a very strong faith and in that moment I was reminded that there is a power far bigger and far greater than our own. I don’t think that there are any coincidences or lucky moments in life. I think that our lives are perfectly choreographed and we are given everything that we need at exactly the right moment and it is just up to us how we react to that, and what we learn from it. Every time I look at this photo (and many others too) I am reminded that I am exactly where I should be doing exactly what I am doing.

Here are some close-ups of my layout.

Because of the colours in my photo I chose to go with predominantly the yellowy/orange and grey, and once again I decided to give the whole mixed media thing a go especially trying to get the water-colour effect that I was after in my last layout.


This time I did not gesso first I sprayed the whole paper with water then I used some pearlised mists that I made myself using acrylic paint, pearl medium and lots of water in a mister bottle... I used yellow, orange and the grey colour (in a very small dose) then I sprayed again with water and let it pool all over the paper. YAY! I got exactly what I was looking for. I dried the page off  and used the cherry blossom mask with gesso and the dots going down the page on the bottom half and dried that off too, then stuck the whole page down onto a piece of grey cardstock and then onto a stiffer piece of cardboard to flatten it properly. I coloured the leaves and the birds and blooms with a very soft water colour and then doodled a little to make it stand out.


Here you can see the bottom half of the layout better. I added some washi tape and then put together my layout. The scalloped border is a Martha Stewart punch. The papers are from Authentique and the colours are perfect. I used a quote from the printables because I was late getting my layout in this week and I just painted the chippie letters black to make them pop.

 

I added some arrow triangles and a couple of tags and that was that. I love that the colours this week were so perfect for my dramatic photo.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look. I really appreciate your visits. Have a great weekend.




16 comments:

  1. This is so fabulous, love your journalling...... great techniques too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Val!! Love all the texture and the soft colors... incredible work girlie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW this is a stunningly bold layout. Love the soft yellow against the harsh black - produces such a "pop"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Notre Dame is a triumph of architecture and your page absolutely does it justice. The luminous background highlights the photo and the cherry blossom stencil reminds me of the birds that glide in to be hand fed in the front of the cathedral. Your reflection and analysis about why we do what we do, is powerful and inspiring....Brilliant Val :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous!! I just adore the soft colors..very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val, I can so relate to how you feel about scrapbookingnd photography. Im having the same thoughts run through my mind. I try to remind myself that maybe this isnt the time for me to be featured, have tons of followers and be recognized. Maybe I should just share...... love what youve done here. Both the photography and scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This like all the other layouts I have seen of yours is gorgeous. I love looking at others work and getting ideas and often used to compare my static photo albumy layouts to theirs and feel mine are amateurish. But you know what - they are mine and i enjoyed doing them and loved remembering the moment in the photo and that's what counts I think ...enjoyment. Your work is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. STUNNING background Val & beautiful LO. Di xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a good camera & no idea how to use it really, & I get soo frustrated at times with it....but at the same time, it's a JOY to get one decent shot.....so IKWYM:):):) And Amen to the spiritual thing & double Amen to the buildings [& streets] overseas!!!! Love your bird up in the corner & the little triangles really attracted me, too!!!!:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG Val this if FABULOUS! Awesome work with the watercolors and beautiful picture. I love your journaling of course...you always make me nod my head in agreement while reading! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely stunning!!! so in love♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is divine!! Absolutely perfect for that fantastic photo! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you want to know why I think your photos and your pages are so gorgeous Val ... because you put your heart into it. You love what you do and you love the people you are doing it for and that shows through quite clearly to me. Apart from that you have a fabulous eye for colour and detail and I sooo love coming here to see your work. This is such a gorgeous page ... Love it!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Subdued color, even for pastels, allowed to mimic the sky in your photograph so perfectly, Val. This is a masterpiece. I so look up to your artful talents, I was taken aback when you questioned your own abilities. Don't doubt yourself, beautiful sister, you are *very* talented!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is lovely, gorgeous soft colours and I love the black outline on the blossom branch. It really works well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a gorgeous page Val and you certainly nailed the watercolour effect on your background! So soft and beautiful! Great photo too and of course, your journalling is always packed with food for thought! You are certainly telling your story and there are many of us, who really enjoy and appreciate this part!
    With regards to the crackle I used on my Millstream page..I used Kwik Crackle from Heritage Crafts, which I bought at Mica, and it really does work very well! ;-)

    ReplyDelete