Pages

Thursday, 22 August 2013

TODAY


Hello Everyone,

There are so many beautiful layouts at the moment that have beautiful painted and textured backgrounds and I have tried a few times to replicate them (without much success), I really don't like to get all messy... I like it to be controlled... Then I left a comment on Kim Price's  blog about her gorgeous backgrounds and she was amazingly kind enough to send me an email with some tips on how to do it, and after taking a look at her tutorials and some others on Youtube I decided to bite the bullet and give it a go, and while it is by no stretch of the imagination great I am pretty happy with the outcome.

My whole process of scrapbooking is - that the layout starts with a spark from somewhere, photos, quote, story, paper, colours or whatever and then I just roll with it from there until I am happy and I thought the whole painted background thing would be the same... NOOOOOO! But more about that just now... For now here is my layout.


This layout is for three challenges.... YES! It is... first of all for the blue, green and white challenge at Scrap Africa and I had this idea that I wanted a kind of watercolour soft background which kind of took on a life of its own... and also for Erica's challenge 168 over at Let's Scrap, which is to use a number (at least 4) of her listed mediums on one layout...Inks, distress stains, paint, texture paint, mists, stamping and stickles. I used 5 of the 7. Then lastly for the http://berry71bleu.blogspot.com/2013/08/august-challenge-get-creative-with.html - textile challenge which is to use any kind of textiles on your layout... I used - lace, dry wall tape, silk flowers and ribbon...I am beginning to wonder if the universe is trying to send me a message about mixed media. :)

My journaling (on the back of the layout) says...

Each and every day I am reminded that 'today' is a gift and that it should be enjoyed and celebrated, it is in the clear blue skies and the rising temperatures that signal spring. The birds that spend all day in the fever tree singing their hearts out. The new buds forming on the trees and the waft of Jasmine outside my studio door. The frantic greeting I get from my dogs even when I just go outside to my car and come back in. The look on my hubby's face when he sees me, when I know that my friends heart is still breaking because she will never see her man again. The fact that someone lets you into traffic when you are in a hurry and the that I don't have to beg for food or money to survive, because I have enough. The roof over my head and the fact that I don't have to walk everywhere because I have a car. That I get to play in my studio every day while there are people out there working two jobs to provide for their families. That I get to notice the beautiful things around me like the display in the photo because I am not bogged down by seemingly insurmountable problems. AND... for all of this and more I am truly grateful.

So first of all I started of with a piece of white cardstock which I completely covered with gesso. I then used my Tim Holtz Distress Paints in Bundled Sage, Peeled Paint, Broken China and Chipped Sapphire - which looks blue but on the paper looked more purple :( Now firstly these paints didn't go on as smoothly or blend as easily as they seem to on tutorials and I am not sure if that is because this was a bigger piece of paper but anyway... Once it was all on and blended... (very roughly in some places) I dried it all off and I thought it was just too dark and in your face so I went over it all with a light coat of gesso.. Yay! It was looking better. I then spritzed it with a perfect pearls mix in turquoise and green.


 I used my new Kaiser Craft stencil with plain gesso, and dried that. By now my cardstock was so warped that I covered the back with strips of double sided tape and taped it onto the piece of card board that came with the stencil. This pulled it all perfectly flat again, and all you have to do is trim it to size...Then came the stamping... I stamped the first image in the top left corner against the edge and then again on the bottom right edge... I stamped the same image onto a piece of the stripe paper and cut the butterflies out. So, because the background blue looked a bit purple I used this paper which matched perfectly for the layout.. You can see my quote stamped on here too it says: Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a present...


I added some washi tape arrows, blue sprigs and music. I also added some strips of dry wall tape.


I added the butterflies that I had stamped and cut out onto the striped paper onto the stamped butterflies to give a 3D effect. Then I finished off by adding some flowers, some brads and my title. I then swiped all of it with gesso to distress a bit more.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look and for taking the time to leave a comment. It really makes my day to read what you have to say. :D







25 comments:

  1. It is beautiful and I love it so much and your journaling is very touching and heart-warming and those little things are the very reasons I am glad to be alive. For the rest of my life I want to look at each new day and the little things in each new day in the same way I have been looking at it since my diagnosis. Never do I want to take anything for granted again...ever!! Love your work Val and I truly am sorry for being so absent for the most of the time. In my heart I know you understand for you are one of my precious angels:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you are learning that "gesso" is your friend! ;-) Since your are mixing scrapbooking and art journaling techniques, one also finds there is a big amount of crossover in use of supplies. I like to remind my husband of that when I am buying new things! Ha! Your layout here is gorgeous, Val! Your background (as it is supposed to) stays in the background, yet so beautifully presents and supports the foreground! I love your touches of black, a difficult color for me to incorporate! Be proud of your newly acquired skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know we usually are our own worse critics! Therefore take my word that I think your background work looks just stunning! Love the softness of it, something that I battle to do...And how fortunate were you to get some tips from Kim herself!!! I love your idea with the stamped and cut out butterflies, and yes, once again your journalling speaks for me as well! Looking forwards to the next painted background...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love this page Val. You did an absolutely amazing job on that background, it's just gorgeous!!!!! The stamping and the three dimensional butterflies and your flower clusters are perfect ... and then there is your awesome journaling. You have this amazing gift of being able to put just the right words together to convey what you are feeling and it's just so wonderful to see it and be able to relate to it. As I said at the beginning ... Love, love, love!!!!! oxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love the effect you have achieved Val, and I'm so happy you were inspired enough to try some new things. Like everything, practice makes perfect, but I think you have done a fantastic job and I'm loving the soft pastel tones! I'm a huge advocate of trying new things - that is how we all grow and learn - and adding some gesso afterwards is a brilliant idea - especially if you are happy with the result. Thank you so much for wanting to branch out and explore some new mixed media techniques. I think you are about to start on a whole new adventure! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh...this layout is gorgeous. Love the background work you did and those blooms. Glad you got on the mixed media bandwagon...it's pretty addicting...the outcome you can't control, but the mess you can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a nice layout Miss Val. What more can I say!!!I love the layering and the gesso masking is just lovely!!!Well done and thanks for playing with at Scrap Africa!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That's some process...but worth it - the colours are perfect for your embellies & good ole gesso, is all I can say:):):)!!!!!!!!!! Can't live without it, myself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, Val! Love these colours & your background looks fantastic. Well done to you for taking the plunge! (be careful, you might just get addicted to these multi media backgrounds!! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your layout is beautiful Val! I think you can be very proud of the background you've achieved. Kim is really amazing with her techniques. I was fortunate enough to see her in action, as she was sitting next to me at one of our recent retreats. She has amazing talent.
    Thank you for playing along at Scrap Africa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning page! I love how the pretty pastels pop against the black accents. Thanks for joining the August Textile Challenge at Berry71Bleu! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job with your paint experiments! I like the message in your journaling, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Val! It's a really good layout. The design is perfectly proportioned and balanced. When I started out with mixed media it was years ago when mists first appeared. I started so mild with just a tiny spray here and there and was not even happy with how THAT looked!! What I think is that it takes years (literally) to perfect anything (or rather to become fairly proficient at it) so what I always do is jump right on a trend as soon as I can so I can grow with it. That's my advice. Fight through the fear and get started, as you have done, and the fear will lesson, the donfidence will increase and your proficiency will improve.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely layout! Love the pop of black! Thanks for joining us at Berry71bleu!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Val this is so pretty and I'm loving that textured background!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your venture into mixed media looks great Val...It is time consuming and unpredictable, but for me it feels just like playing and I love that part of it. Your topic about gratitude is one I relate to and your write so powerfully about what is important in life. The design is great and I love the clusters placed just perfectly.....Fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your page turned out so beautifully Val...and you really did such a great job with the background! The stencilling, colouring and stamping are just fab! The theme is amazing too and as always, you plant a wonderful seed for thought and I love that!
    Thanks for playing with us at Scrap Africa and supporting us, I really appreciate it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This turned out beautiful Val! The background is soft and muted and not overpowering. Might have to get over my fear and do something more adventurous too! But I don't know where to start.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful layout, I really like the way the black defines all the layers. Thank you for joining the Berry71Bleu Aug Challenge :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you decided to join in our fun challenge at SCRAP AFRICA Val!! It is always great to visit your blog!! Smiles, Rene' :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is the first time I visit your blog and I like it a lot. What I loved is your description about yourself, because I feel exactly the same way about myself. I think I will pinch that line;) Great layout, too, by the way. There is so much to discover in it. I also participated in the challenge, come have a look if you like and even become a member:) Cheers, Andrea http://paperscrapsandscissors.blogspot.be/2013/08/xardins-de-mendes-nunez.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful work! Thanks for playing at Scrap Africa :).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loks like you had so much fun working on your project, thank you so much for joining Berry 71 Bleu challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the flower cluster!! Beautiful colors!
    Amazing page! Thanks for joining our challenge at berry71bleu!

    ReplyDelete