Pages

Monday, 30 September 2013

JOURNEY


Hello Everyone :D

I am back with a second post today and this one is my first post as a member of the OUAS DT. Please go and take a look at the challenge and all the inspiration from the amazing DT. Play along - there are wonderful prizes to be won.

Journalling Theme: "The Journey..."

You are free to interpret our theme ANY WAY you like. It is for your inspiration and this theme word DOES NOT need to be part of your title or journalling. But please make sure your layout is based on the sketch below and includes journalling (hidden journalling is fine). Acceptable journalling is MORE than just a sentence, or generic writing such as date/place etc. It needs to be present and at least 3 lines long. Remember, hidden journalling (under a photo/tag or behind your page) is perfectly fine but please DO let us know in your post where your journalling is! 

Here is the sketch to go with the theme.


Here is my take on the challenge...


The quote on the front of the layout says 'A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.'

My journalling (on the back of the layout) says...

One of the things I love most about travelling is not always the journey but the destination. Well actually it is the journey too but for me one of the nicest things is when you discover something totally unexpected like the day we found this little church in the Midlands.
We had taken a road trip with my FIL for his 87th birthday down to the coast so that he could see the sea one last time before he dies (his words not mine:)). We decided to surprise him and break the trip by booking into a beautiful little guest hotel that we discovered on a previous trip and we knew he would love it. It is called Lords of the Manor and was built in the 1890's in true English style with thick stone walls covered with ivy. After we had settled him in we took a drive around the Midlands which are beautiful, real English countryside with green rolling hills and on this day even the guti (fine misty rain) rain and mist. We were told at the Manor about this little church so we set out to go an find it and I am so glad we did. I really want this to be my next house. 
It was originally built by the same people who built Lords of the Manor, at the same time on the same property. A couple of years ago the ground was de-consecrated and sold to a private individual who has turned it into a self-catering guest house. The outside of the church has not been touched but the inside has been turned into the  most beautiful guest house that is completely open plan. It has three bedrooms and two bathrooms upstairs (the main bathroom is in front of the upper church windows) and has the most magnificent views across the valleys. The downstairs is an open plan lounge dining room and kitchen with an aga stove. The original stained glass windows are still there and a couple of the pews have been incorporated into this beautiful guest house. The gardens are open and very English in style. They grow their own fresh herbs and veggies and right next to the church on the other side is a beautiful little grave yard with a bench that sits under a magnificent tree for people to sit. I absolutely fell in love with this place the minute I laid eyes on it and now I am hatching plans to get my hands on it :) This is one journey I will never regret taking.

Here are some close ups of my layout.


I used some Tim Holtz distress stain splats on the background page and then added some dry wall tape and some script stamping. I sprayed the doily and the news print with some Lindy's Stamp Gang mist to get a softer colour. The flowers were added at the end.


I also used a stencil with some gesso and then doodled around some of them. The heart chippie and the bird bath are from my stash.


I stamped the quote at the bottom and used black letters for the title. I doodled around the edges of the papers too and the punched borders were cute with a Martha Stewart punch.

Thank you so much for visiting and I want you to know that I really appreciate the comments that you leave. :)





13 comments:

  1. I was waiting for this point to appear.. Saw this at OUAS few minutes earlier and omg this is just too gorgeous! You are such a talent and have such an eye for colors! Photos are absolutely gorgeous and coupled with your artistry, I'm just speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how your colours co-ordinate perfectly with your photos! What a wonderful setting this is, if, in future you are successful in making this your home, I am on your 'voorstoep' for a stay and visit!!! Once again a most beautiful page Val!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These lovely Fall colors lend themselves beautifully to your photographs and, actually, to the journaling, too! I love every little detail of both, Val. You continue to inspire me! Congrats on your new DT position.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing that took my eye was the beautiful tones of chartreuse, lime orange and apricot. They floated me back to that beautiful part of the country with it's misty days. The design is great too, with the central photo framed and the little triangles complementing the spire. Your evocative description tells the story of this building and I can see it would make a perfect B&B, or indeed a home for you! Love your work Val....you go from strength to strength. Congrats on your DT position, I look forward to seeing your Art here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on this one Val! 2 posts in one day!! You are rolling girl!!! You can preschedule for different days in advance you know - just select that option - the date & time - then click PUBLISH but it will only publish at the assigned time. Love all the little details on this one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, fabulous splats & the colour scheme & interesting journey.....I like this one VERY much:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet story Val! I love the colors you used. You have to explain how you made those splats. I really have no luck with paints and splatters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet story Val! I love the colors you used. You have to explain how you made those splats. I really have no luck with paints and splatters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This absolutely stunning! I love your choice of colour, it is so striking. Great splat technique, I love your work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful page and such an entrancing story Val. This place sounds awesome and I hope your dream comes to fruition. The colour combination you used here is glorious, so rich and lovely and I looooove those splats but can never manage to get them right. A really stunning piece of art!! oxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super, beautiful page Val! Love your beautiful details here and the wonderful sentiment too! This place looks like a fabulous little find and certainly one that must be revisited again! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Val, this page is so gorgeous!! How wonderful that you had the opportunity to take your FIL on this wonderful trip. The church sounds so amazing!! Love your detailed journaling!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    Garden of Grace

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the paint splats and the colour scheme .....really like this one!!

    ReplyDelete