Pages

Tuesday, 10 September 2013

READ

Hello Everyone

I have a couple of projects to share with you today :D

The first one is my layout for CSI #88, here is the case file. I didn't think I was going to get this one done because I have had a school friend staying with me who I haven't seen for 37 years :O I know... it was so nice to catch up again, she lives in Australia and decided to treat herself to a four month vacation visiting friends and family. We were so busy for the week that she was here, and she only left last night but I managed to get it done today :D Love it when a plan comes together :)


Here is my interpretation of it.


I found this pattern paper in my stash and I have no idea whose it is but it was perfect. Here is how I solved the case.

Scheme - all the colours are there.
Evidence - Floral pattern, clock, pen, doodle, book pages.
Testimony - Something I have learned. Bullet point.

My journalling (on the back of the layout) reads :

As far back as I can remember I have loved reading, and I make it a point to read a little every day. I started a reading programme with some online friends and we challenged ourselves to a book a month at least. Some months I read more than one book, but never less than one book, and I read books from every genre. This is why I read...
1 Because it stimulates my brain, there is nothing like a good book to get the grey matter churning, and the older I get the more I need to keep my brain working.
2 Because it relieves stress... no matter how bad my day has been once I start reading I am transported to a new realm, I can lose myself in the story and in the characters.
3 Because every book teaches me something I didn’t know before and I have never read a book that didn’t leave me with something new.
4 Because it expands my vocabulary and enables me to articulate myself better.
5 Because it strengthens my analytical thinking skills. I love nothing better than solving a case in a good thriller before I get to the end of the book.
6 Because it improves my focus and attention span, it forces me to concentrate and remember the characters and the plot and how the all fit together.
7 Because it improves my writing skills, this goes hand in hand with the vocabulary.
8 Because it is the best entertainment there is and you can do it anytime, anywhere and with anyone.
9 Because it can change my mood. I get completely engrossed in whatever book I am reading, and I totally forget about everything else.
10 Because it enables, in fact in encourages, lifelong learning, and I never want to stop learning and taking in new information.

Here are some close-ups of my layout.


I cut the pattern paper just smaller than the cardstock and adhered it, the images were then stamped on opposite corners of the layout, the photo was printed twice. The butterflies are a Martha Stewart punch and I just love them.


I also adhered a strip of music washi tape to this side of the layout, andmade the file folder using the plain cardstock, added the orange washi tape and wrote 'reading list' on it. The chippie above the photo and the heart and title were just painted using a black Tim Holtz dabber and left. I added the flowers and the bling and the quote which says - The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it. James Bryce. The book page is from a book called the Fourth Hand and although I hate tearing up book to use this one had been destroyed by one of my dogs as a puppy so rather than throw it away I will put it to good use. :D

Here is my other project and that is the card I made for this months Black With 2 Challenge. Here is the colour palette for September.


This months challenge is a little different from the other because there are a few colours in this one and this month you have to use black, as usual, plus you can choose any other two or more colours. :d 

Here is my card for this challenge.


I decided to go with the black, the lime, the magenta and the teal.  I created a 15 x 15 cm card and punched the front portion with a scallop punch. I adhered some of the patterned paper to it and then created a small mat with the purple, teal and black cardstock and adhered some of the striped paper onto it. The quote image was stamped first in black archival in and it says - Always know in your heart that you are far bigger than anything that can happen to you.. The flower image was then stamped so that it overlapped very slightly. I added black micro beads to the centers of the flowers. Under the mat I added some black lace threaded with the purple ribbon and finished it off with some flowers. I added the tags last.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look, you know that I appreciate it. :D







12 comments:

  1. The layout is totally hands down stunning! So beautiful! and woman you are quick scrapper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both project are beautiful, Val, but I am so taken with the READ layout! The detail is just amazing to me. My daughter is an avid reader, and I just sent her a link to this page. I know she will totally "get" your reasons for reading. I want to read, but rarely do. Maybe for my 70th birthday someone will give me a book! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the LO and card Valerie...So agree with your reasons for reading, a favourite pastime of mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, your page about books describes exactly the way I feel about them. No matter how busy, or how tired, I must read every day. You used the colours beautifully; love the stamping and the MS butterflies. The card is lovely too...especially like that flower stamp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous LO and card. What wonderful journaling and I love how you used the book page for your photo mat! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    Garden of Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loooove your page Val! I love the theme/topic and the super page that you created! Love how you used a book page too! Just stunning! Super card too and I love the sentiment! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome creations and wonderful creative takes on the inspirations.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous layout and card Val. Love the journalling and the book page you used for the photo mat. I so get what you mean about reading, there's nothing like a good book. Love the sentiment on the card too and you chose a great colour combo. Both projects are stunning!! oxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good on you getting these done...must've been fun seeing your friend....I'm just starting to get back 'into' it since being away......LOOOVE your reading LO. Have to agree with all of your journaling, too. I've just almost finished Ken Follett's 'Fallen Giants', I think it's called. Romping good read!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work I have started to get more involved CSI, so love that site :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't you just love it when everything comes together smoothly as butter on toast! I think the palette was a rather tricky one but you did fab. Wonderful page! Must have been fun meeting your friend, I have one who lives in the US coming over next month. We yak yak yak around the clock, drink wine and just chill together. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely colourful card in such an interesting design. Your layout is gorgeous -that patterned paper is so nice and I adore that MS buterfly punch! Glad you met up with an old friend - always fun!

    ReplyDelete