Pages

Saturday, 12 October 2013

2 FOR DINNER

Good Morning Everyone :D

It is a glorious summers day here on the Highveld, and the birds are making a heavenly racket outside in the fever tree. It is Saturday which means the new CSI file is out so if you click on the link it will take you to it.


It also comes with a sketch from the amazingly talented Em Starface. Here is my layout.


Here's how I solved the case...
Scheme    -  The colours are all there
Evidence  -  Numbers, something dangling, pinwheel, ribbon, book pages, triangles.
Testimony -  Be Daring Prompt - If you could have dinner with anyone currently alive...
The journalling on the front of the layout says:
Sometimes you are lucky enough to meet someone who changes your life forever.
The journalling on the back of the layout says:
For me that person is Helen Wallace. I joined CSI at a time when I was probably at my lowest – confidence and creativity wise – and I was totally overwhelmed by the layouts that I saw in the gallery, and I wondered if I was just going to make a fool of myself by putting my layout in the gallery with that level of talent. I tried it out anyway and my journalling consisted of a list of 12 things I could not do without. That was it!
From that first layout Helen was like a beacon of hope, gently encouraging me, guiding me and constantly reassuring me and because of that I wanted to strive to be more.
She helped me to find my voice and to sing out loud and clear. I suddenly realised I had stories to tell, stories that others were interested in hearing, and stories that I wanted and needed to share, things that I want my family and future generations to know about me and my life. She helped me to realise that I had value as a person and as an artist. Because of her I started to try new things, my first DT position, mixed media layouts, to try and make others feel the same way she makes me feel. Like I am special, like my work is amazing, like I am someone she would call FRIEND.
The more I got to know Helen through this site, through her layouts and her interactions with the other members of this site I realize what an amazingly wise, caring, insightful, and remarkably talented woman she is. She has a wicked sense of humour and I am guessing that there is also a rod of steel in there somewhere too should the need arise, and for all of these reasons and more she is the one person that I would like to have dinner with. Not only to thank her for all that she has done for me, and I don’t think she has any idea of just what an impact she made on my life, but also just to kick back and enjoy her witty repartee, her pearls of wisdom, and her down to earth approach to life. I think that we have a lot in common besides scrapbooking, telling our stories and now even twin grandchildren.
I would like to talk to her about books, music, marriage, religion, politics and so much more. I would like to compare notes on life and death and everything in between. I wish I had had someone like her when I was growing up. To make sense of all the madness that was my life. To help me put it all into perspective. It would have made things a whole lot easier. Having said that I am very glad to have made her acquaintance now and each week I learn something more and something new and something I didn’t know before.
So thank you Helen and I hope that you will enjoy our dinner for 2.



I layered an orange punched strip onto brown and then onto the white and added the journalling in strips against the edge. I made the pinwheels and attached them with brads and did fake stitching because I ran out of time and I wanted to take pictures before it got too dark (and I hate sewing :)). I also added tiny little yellow circle rub-ons so the yellow is very subtle.


I created tags to tuck in behind the photo (which I took off Helen's FB wall and changed slightly so the colours would be better with my papers). The leaves in the flowers are my new Shape-abilities die cut and I love them.


I created the arrows with triangles. The papers were perfect for the case file and are a very old paper from Wild Asparagus.

Thanks so much for stopping by to take a look and thank to those of you whole leave messages. I really appreciate the time it takes to leave them. Hope you have a great weekend.





19 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Val! What a stunning layout and I so enjoyed reading this post! I'm sorry that you were in a not-so-good place, but I'm so glad you found a lovely friend and that you have evolved into such a talented artist yourself! I love your work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love love this Val ... yes you and I both feel the same about Helen, such a beautiful soul . we are lunching on Monday , lucky me , when I first saw the layout I thought Debbi had made a mistake by popping your name under this layout . I could see it was a photo of Helen and I looked closer and closer , then the penny dropped , Helen gave you a pic to use ...such a gorgeous pic too. you have done Helen proud and I bet she is thrilled with this ... bless you gorgeous girlfriend xoxoxoxo
    Never doubt yourself, you are loved by more than you know xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous layout of a lovely lady. Helen is a gem and she has a wonderful gift with words. Your journalling of your friendship is beautiful. Hard to believe you didn't have confidence in your work as it is so lovely, but I understand as I struggle with this as well. A really , really lovely layout and hope one day you get to have dinner with Helen
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, somehow I forgot that you had a blog. I feel awful that I've been missing out on your wonderful "ramblings"...I've now signed up to receive email notices when you post. Once I'm settled in my new place, I will be sure to join CSI. It's such a fun site with very cool challenges. Your friend Helen sounds just wonderful & I love that you honored her with this lovely layout. I love the tags & the pinwheels...lots of great details & you picked such a sweet photo of her to scrap. I don't know how you ever could doubt your own talent, however. I've always thought of you as one of the most inspiring and talented of my scrapbooking buddies...and certainly you are one of the sweetest! xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Val such a magnificently beautiful page about a truly wonderful human being. Helen also has inspired me time and time again. Her journalling is always inspirational and I too have strived to included more stories into my layouts. Helen is one of those people you come across only once in a life time if we are lucky. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and you too are an inspiration to many. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Val! what a wonderful tribute to Helen, and so well deserved. also think that Helen is a very speical person.
    I was sorry to read that you had that 'not so good' period in your life and I hope it all gone by the wind. I find your layouts very beautiful and inspiring and your journaling is superb. You yourself are one of the most kind and encouraging person I got to 'meet' through web, and I'm thankful for that.
    Your comments are always so encouraging and meaningful, and they certainly show how much thought you are putting in every comment you leave.
    Thank you for sharing your experience and feelings, with such a beautiful page. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great testimonial to a lovely lady!!! And your LO is stunning too.....perfect all round:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely tribute to a dear friend.. I know that words of encouragement go a long way and I hope you just continue to enjoy scrapping and making friends.. this layout is lovely, such a gorgeous photo and I love the design!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tribute! Lovely layout.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Today you once again brought tears to my eyes..."sommer" because...Such a beautiful, tribute to Helen...so special...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful layout and wonderful tribute to an extra special person! Helen rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Val! I just love your journaling. It is always to inspiring and you tell such wonderful stories. I think it is awesome that you created this layout with a FB pic of a person you've never met. Your pages are truly brilliant and I can't believe that you even lacked confidence in your creative endeavors. It's so special to form bonds through a love of creating and for us all to have the ability to peer into each other's lives clear across the ocean! Lovely page.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your story, we are our own worst critics. It is lovely that Helen has guided you on such a lovely journey. All the ladies at CSI are so lovely and inspiring!! Such a beautiul page Val, i really need to come play again at CSI. Take care TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful tribute to your dear friend, Val. I haven't met Helen but she has left some lovely comments for me and I always feel grateful for her encouragement. This page is gorgeous and your journalling is always so heartfelt. Cannot imagine that you were ever lacking in confidence of your work. You are such a talented artist and a great inspiration to everyone!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous layout Val! Love the sweet photo! Thanks for sharing your story and for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now I understand about the FB business Val! It's not often I'm stuck for words (on the page that is) I'm actually quite shy IRL, but this has just blown my socks off. As others have said, it's hard to imagine you lacked confidence in your beautiful art, because your pages are always stylish and beautiful. I'm honoured to be invited to dinner to talk about, life, the universe and the whole shooting match. I don't think you needed much help to tap into the rich vein of stories you have to share with your family and the scrapping world. How wonderful that those twins will know who their Granny is and how she ticked. Your interpretation of the sketch is beautiful....as for the journalling....your words make me feel like a Princess...thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow....what a special layout Val and how wonderful that you have found a true friend in Helen! Since I have come to know you both, you are both amazing women...and I am lucky enough to have you both as scrappy friends too! ;-) Beautiful page and I really hope oneday that you get the opportunity for this dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Val this is such a beautiful page and a beautiful tribute too. I also want you to know that you too are a huge inspiration to others and to thank you for the lovely comments that you leave on my blog and Facebook. I really appreciate each and every word:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful tribute to a friend! Fantastic page and I can't believe you ever doubted yourself.....you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete