Pages

Saturday, 30 November 2013

ROAD TRIP

Good Morning Everyone :)

So what do you think of my new look? Is Em just not the cleverest thing around? I am over the moon with it and I think we are a perfect fit :)

I have the new CSI case file, and my layout for it, for this week and if you have not been over to take a look at this fabulous challenge you can find out about it all HERE.


I used one of Nadia's sketches to work from this week - she has such great ones to choose from and you can find them all HERE.


Here is my layout.


I used these beautiful papers from Authentique that were perfect for the colours. I did add a little orangey/red to liven it up a little.

The quote on the layout says:

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land.
GK Chesterton

and

My journalling (on the back of the layout) says:


Four girls, two days, one car and 1200 kms... Destination – Ficksburg, for the cherry festival. We piled into the butch-mobile at six in the morning turned the music up loud and hit the highway down to Harrismith where we stopped for breakfast, and even managed to do a little shopping ;) The next bit was interesting because I think my garmin is still speaking French, we headed towards Ficksburg and Victoria took us through the Golden Gate National Park which is the most breathtakingly beautiful countryside that I have ever seen, took us 6 hours from Johannesburg to Ficksburg because of all the stopping to take photos, well and of course breakfast and shopping.
First stop was the Cherry Farm tour complete with cherry wine tasting and more shopping, a township tavern tour (NO shopping), and a little hair raising as we were the only white people in the township taverns and women at that, once we nailed that one it was back into town to browse the stalls, shop a little more and then tired out at nine another long 65kms drive (they said it was easy access – pfft)  to our bed and breakfast ‘Cranberry Cottage’ which was so delightful. I have to say here 65 kms on a crappy road in the dark, and with a garmin that is also tired and only speaking French is NOT what I call easy access J but I did it...I had a nice hot bath and was asleep before my head hit the pillow.
Saturday morning and I am up at 5 to take more pics, we have breakfast and then make the long drive back to Ficksburg for the Chocolate tour and on the way we spot a market at Clocolan which looked so amazing we decided to drive back after the chocolate tour and take a look. So worth the extra 60 kms... We shopped up a storm and I took loads of photos. We got home again around five in the evening.
I love my girl time it is necessary – no it is essential to my happiness and sanity, I don’t think I have ever laughed so much, eaten so many cherries, driven so far, or had so much fun. We are already planning our next trip, one of the benefits of not having any kids at school anymore J Next time we will allocate more time so that it is not so rushed. Every time I do something like this I am blown away by the beauty and diversity of things to do in this beautiful rugged land that I now call home.

Here are some close-ups.


I used the glossy accents on the title. 


I used some mist on the white background before I typed the journalling and then punched the border.


The light bulb is tucked into the flowers.

The photo was taken in the Golden Gate Nature Reserve.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look.


xox

Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. What a fantastic trip Val? I love road trips too & I think Australia is a lot like your country in that everything is a long way. I love how you've captured this memory on a beautiful layout xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new look ! It is so you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to join you ...only I still have a kid at school...got 10 years to wait for this kind of thing me thinks. Fab page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let you know when I next come to CT and we will do a road trip to somewhere :D

      Delete
  4. Stunning photo and fab design. I love the subtle colors and the clean design. And I loved reading your story. Having a small country, I can hardly imagine long road trips, but your talent in story telling made it so vivid. I truely invite you to have a special and unique travel to my country. I think you're going to love it... (and we'll be able to meet and chat over a cup of coffee/tea). Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so fabulous Libeeti... who knows... maybe one day.

      Delete
  5. Your blog looks amazing, Val......as does your fabulous layout for CSI. Great sketch :)
    I love road trips as long as I don't have to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your blog is stunning, loving the colour theme, EM did an awesome job, your work is awesome too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous makeover!! Looks fab!! Lovely layout too! I also love road trips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This layout is gorgeous.. I feel like I am looking forward into the horizon with that photo.. great take on the colors and lovely sketch too.. and yes your blog looks amazing, very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful new look to your blog, Val! I really love it, and it seems to have captured your inner artist in color and texture and style! Good choices, all! Also love your new layout today. Those orange flowers are just the points of strength that "ground" all other elements. Great narrative of a fantastic "road trip!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog design is out of this world!!! Well done to both you and Em...if I was not still satisfied and happy with my own design, I would have jumped at the change to redo mine as well....! Love the distressed feel of it! As for your LO...just loving the pops of orange together with the black... very clever colour design!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning new look! I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really do love your new look blog Val ... it is gorgeous!!! Your layout too is gorgeous!! Such a beautiful photo and you've showcased it perfectly as always. Love the journaling too, sounds like you ladies had such a wonderful time! ox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is a lot of kilometres in two days. Your page is beautiful. I love the little fence and the story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what a fun time you had...such fun and so many miles...just like Australia in lots of ways. Your new look blog is a triumph...perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful page and love the roses you used! They pop right off the page! Your trip sounds amazing and so great that you had some me time and girl time! Definitely necessary for the soul! Loooooove the new look of your blog...so you and so beautiful...love the colours!

    ReplyDelete