Pages

Sunday, 1 December 2013

CRY

Morning Everyone

Scrap Africa has posted their new challenge 
Sketch Challenge #24

Our GD this month is Riikka Kovasin and you can see more of her work
HERE and she also created a YouTube video tutorial for her layout so go check it out. We also have a Top 3 winner as a GD Irina Malahova and you can find more of her work HERE.

Here is the sketch, I rotated it 90 degrees to suit my photos.


Here is my layout.


I only used cardstock for this challenge.

The quote on the layout says:
Life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the
moments that take our breath away.

My journalling on the back of the layout says:

On a recent trip to Ficksburg for the Cherry Festival we did a Tavern Tour, looking back it was probably not the brightest idea we have ever had but I am so glad that we did do it. I would never have gotten an up close look at how our township population lives. It was horrible and it made me realise just how much I have to be grateful for. I have had struggles but nothing that compares to what they go through. I have always had a roof over my head, hot and cold running water, electricity, a bed to sleep in and food on the table. I have never had to sit on the roadside selling vegetables trying to eke out a living, my kids have always gone to school, I have never had to worry about finding shelter from the wet or the cold and I can't even begin to imagine what their lives must be like.
This poor little guy was at the tavern with his mother or grandmother, left to his own devices while they all drank. I took this photo of him between the two makeshift toilets crying because she had gone to the loo and left him alone. He was so upset and it breaks my heart to think of such a little thing feeling like that. It is just not right.

Here are some close-ups of my layout. 

I put a quote on the photo that says:
Childhood is a promise that is never kept.
Ken Hill


I misted the background with an Adirondack mist - Red Pepper and then flicked water onto it to create the watercolour background. The quote was stamped on and the film strip cut using my Silhouette machine. I also put the black circle through my corrugator for texture.


I coloured the seam binding using the leftover mist on my mat and the title was just painted black.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look :D
xox
Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. A truly amazing & heartfelt layout Val. I love the colours that you've chosen & the design is perfect for this story. We all need a wake-up call every now & then so that we never take the life that we have for granted. Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red is such a strong colour & makes such a statement in conjunction with your story ...loooove this one...looks effortless - but I'm sure it wasn't !!!!:):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this page Val! You've really put your heart into this one and it shows. I think we all need to sit back sometimes and just be grateful for what we have instead of always striving for more. I love the clean and simple lines of this page, it really makes it all the more poignant!! Beautifully done!! Love it!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new look of your blog. Your page really tells a sad story of broken promises and childhoods lost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An absolutely heartfelt layout, Val. I am so touched by the photograph you have used. So reminds me of my introduction to the poorest of the poor people in Venezuela when I moved there in 1958 for 15 months. That quote is amazing! So well done--and with love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It breaks one's heart. truly a heartfelt page, Val, and beautifuly done. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  7. A touching and heartfelt page with the photo of the upset child....when I compare the difference in life chances between him and my Grandchildren it's so distressing. It truly does make me count my blessings and give more to those less fortunate. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an expressive and eye-catching page...the emotion and feeling seems part of that gorgeous red background...! Such sad little photo's of this little boy....one can just hope that he was eventually comforted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh this is gorgeous! Love that watercoloury misted base - splendid Val!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen, dam but this whole mixed media thing is taking me ages to get my head around. I am such an A-type personality that the messy thing is hard for me but I was VERY happy with this one.... some of them don't react so well... :)

      Delete
  10. Heart wrenching. Absolutely heart wrenching. So so so much to be thankful for. Your layout is amazing, Val and I love the bold black title against the mist of red. Amazing, amazing work. So glad you scrapped this. It will be a reminder for all that come and see it to thank their lucky stars for all they have. My heart breaks for this little one.

    ReplyDelete