Pages

Thursday, 27 February 2014

BEACH


Hello everyone

It has been so long since my last post and I have been so busy with my new Grandies and all my DT layouts for March that I haven't had much time for anything else. I will be posting more layouts shortly.

Well I made it through to round three of the SUPREME SCRAP TOURNAMENT 21014 - big surprise - the competition is really stiff and some of my scrapping icons are involved too.

Here is the list of requirements for Challenge 3

General: 
Make a scrap booking layout with lots and lots of doodling on it.

Pages: 
One. 
Format 30,4 x 30,4 cm (12x12 inch)

Theme: 
Free 

Colours: 
Free

Photos: 
Minimum 4 photos 
No photo’s with people (foreground or background) or parts of people on them. 

Use:
You will have to add doodling ON 2 of the photos. (exactly 2 no more no less)
Add a hand written/doodled title directly on the layout 
Add a handwritten journal of minimum 20 words directly on the layout. 
All doodling must be hand doodled!

Not to be used: 
Flowers in any form. So no flowers on your LO. Including your papers and photos and doodling. You can't even doodle flowers on your layout. You can doodle anything else. 
Alphabet stickers, alpha thickers, die cut, punched alpha, hand cut alpha, stamped alpha, punched alpha, alphabet using a stencil or any other alphabet embellishment.

Allowed: 
Cutting machines and punches are allowed except for alphabets and flowers.

Now I am no doodler and I absolutely love flowers so this was a tough ask for me but I did it and here is what I came up with :D


I used just one piece of white cardstock, and a couple of book pages from a dictionary.

The title says: 
LIFE is better at the BEACH.

The dictionary paper says:
Loved the Weather :D

The journalling around the circle says:
There is no place I would rather be than at the sea. The gentle sound of lapping waves soothes my soul, love the smell of the salty air and warm breezes on my face and sand between my toes. Thailand.

My journalling on the back of the layout says:
Thailand is one of our favourite places to go when we need to unwind and regroup and the best place to do that is Phuket. We love the people, the food, the vibe of the place and the beautiful white beaches and warm blue waters. The beach massages and the fresh cut fruit and ice cold drinks keep us going back year after year. Heaven on earth.

Here are some close ups.


I covered most of the cardstock with a layer of gesso and left it overnight to dry properly. Once it was dry I kind of decided where I wanted my photos to go and lightly penciled the outline. I used my gelatos on the page for colour and smudged them in with my fingers and then moved the colour around the page with a very wet paint brush. Once I was happy with the colour I spritzed it with water and perfect pearls for a little sheen and again left it to dry naturally. Once it was dry I used a plate to make a circle around the photo mat and drew in the lines using mists in the colours of my layout. I doodled in a sun and some flying birds as well as the arrows to my photos.


Two of the photos had to have doodling on them and so I chose to use the little circles for water and used them on the two portrait photos. I also wrote the title by hand. Around the circle I put little hearts and round brads and doodled around them too.


In the bottom I doodled a little bird sitting on a post with a heart in its mouth. The little bird of happiness I reckon. I also doodled around the edge of the layout.


Here is a close up of the photos and the book pages. I added some tumbleweed to the layout too just for fun and also some builders tape.

Wish me luck for this next round.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look. :)


Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. I just love it. Love the colours and the background, the doodles and the pictures. Thanks for sharing. The layout is so so soft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your page looks perfectly serene and restful Val…a wonderful place to refresh and unwind. Congrats on making it to this round and for your take on the challenge. When I read through the requirements, my eyes glaze over and I need to have a Bex and a good lay down!!! But your interpretation is a delight, especially the circle work and the gelatos. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you, getting your 'doodle' on!!! LOOVE your little birdy & you were very brave doing that on the photos..AND a plate!! Hah! Great idea...did wonder how you got the circle....crossing my fingers for you:):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow good on you for getting this far, I am sure you will get to the end.. love the photos, and love the circle format, great take on all that criteria, and yes... i love the beach too! I hope your little grandies are doing really well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Val! You doodle very well I must say. I love the gelato colours that match so well with the photos. Good luck with the remainder of the tournament :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! I just love the design and the doodles! Love it <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it :) Great work Val! I can't doodle for my life on a layout, but if we're playing a game and I have paper in front of me, I doodle like a fiend! I think it's my fear that I'm gonna mess it up that keeps me from doing it.

    Paula xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say Paula I am not sure I enjoyed it at all. BUT... there is a part of my brain that is saving get a doodling book and play :D

      Delete
  8. Well done Val on getting through. I must say I love that little bird and your doodles are fabulous and the little sun peeping out. The layout has a lovely feel quite different from your other layouts ( in my opinion) but it is super .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous page Val and the colours really add to that idyllic and peaceful theme! Love the design, love the photo's and loving your work with the Gelato's. They really are so fab!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness, just look at that list of requirements! Well done I say! love the soft colours and those piccies, aaahh! your doodling is just fab! mwah to ya!

    ReplyDelete