Pages

Saturday, 8 February 2014

MERCY

Hello Everyone,

It's the weekend baby! A very special weekend too as the first one of my new grand babies has been allowed to come home :) Paige had a fairly unsettled night which is to be expected and Mom and Dad didn't get much sleep. Now we just need to Spencer to take all of his feeds himself then he can come home too :)

It is also reveal day for the new case file over at CSI, I hope that you will take a look and play along with us.

Here is the case file.


Here is my layout for this challenge. Another layout using Georgia Heald's techniques.


Here is how I solved the case.

Scheme - the colours are all there.
Evidence - Book pages, silver accents, stack something (layers), textured paper, dry embossing.
Evidence - Journal about your reading - Prompt... second first time.
We all know the beauty of reading a really wonderful book for the first time—when everything about the story and the writing and the timing click to make a reader’s perfect storm … but it’s fleeting, because you can never read that book for the first time again.
So … if you could magically reset things so that you had the chance to read a favorite book/series again for the first time … which would you choose? And why?
And then, since tastes change … Do you think it would have the same affect on you, reading it now, as it did when you read it the first time? Would you love it just as much? Would you risk it?

My journalling (on the back) says:
When I read this question one book came to mind immediately - Mercy by David Lindsey. One of my all time favourite books and also this quote sums up perfectly for me why I read...

A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy. ~Edward P. Morgan

That book for me is Mercy, and a friend recommended it to me many years ago and once I started reading it I couldn't put it down and I immediately transported to that time and place and to those characters in this book.
I love nothing better than a psychological thriller and this book for me is right up there with the best of the best. The twist at the end is just the cherry on the top. I found this quote that perfectly sums up why I love to read and what I get out of it, and this particular book among the thousands of books that I have ever read and loved still stands out in my mind as one of the best.
 I while I don't think that you can ever get back that first time I did enjoy it the second time just as much just in a more comfortable way because I knew the story. And while my taste in books hasn't changed that much I do think it has expanded to encompass a much wider range of literature this is still, for me, a great book. A wonderful story, great details and an unexpected twist. I think that this book will always be my all time favourite fiction novel, so yes I would love to have that first time again and I have no doubt in my mind that the effect would be the same and I have no doubt that I will read it again some day.

Here are some close-ups.


I started off by layering strips of the different green papers and book pages onto the white cardstock. Once this was done I gave it a coat of gesso and dried it off. I then used some Mystic Green Olive mist from Dazzles, then I have these really cool crayons that look like wax crayons but they are watercolours - I have no idea what they are called or who made them as all the labels have come off - anyway I used the blue and yellow from those for the accent colours.


I stamped the stitches randomly all over the layout and the same with the bubbles stamp.
I used a book page and also the green papers under the photo mat, added some builders tape, tickets and flowers to finish it off.


I also used my Tim Holtz eye test stencil around the layout.
This was such a fun layout to do. I think I am getting the hang of this whole mixed media thing and I am beginning to enjoy it.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look. I love your visits.

xox
Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. Fabulous, Val:):) hope the babies are both reunited soon & that they settle quickly:):) as for your page...aaah!!! Sublime:):) LOOOVE the bg work, the design & the colours !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg this is so beautiful! You are getting so well and pro in mix media now! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply gorgeous! I love everything about your mixed media layout. the book, your title, the photo, everything, is simply beautiful and stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an outstanding layout, Val! you certainly inspired me with this one :)).
    Love your mixed media background (Georgia's style is so cool!), and I love the embellies you used.
    As for the crayons, maybe this is what you used:
    http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-52-3624-Crayola24ctOilPastelsPortfolioSeries/dp/B00006IFAG

    I myself have them and I enjoy working with them very much!

    I really loved reading your journaling. TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are exactly what they are... Thanks Libeeti and yes I absolutely love them :D

      Delete
  5. Val, this came wonderful! I love it. Your mixed media journey is going perfectly :) Ahhhh books, even better, psycho thrillers :D have you read Chelsea Cain? Your lo has made me think about doing one for a book that moved me, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It hit my heart like no other book.

    Paula <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how lovely that Paige is home and Spencer is doing well. Your mixed media is looking fantastic...lots of different techniques and great blending of colours. Then you describe the book in such glowing terms, that I've immediately requested it from the library. Love, love, love the quote. Brilliant work my friend :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous Val!! You've certainly got the mixed media down pat. I still haven't mastered it. Every time I use gesso and then try to spray over it, it just goes terrible awry! Love the colours on this page and your journaling, as always, is delightful to read. Might even have to go and find that book!! Love this and hope you'll have both the babies home soon!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely techniques as always. Great page. I love to read your journalling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful techniques you have used on your lovely layout. and books are wonderful friends who keep you company and while away the hours too.. and I hope Spencer will be home soon with his family!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well you have got me really keen to read that book as i love thrillers , so will have to find it.
    Love the stamp that you have used and the eye test stencil really adds interest .That line about the duct tape is really quirky ... a great layout you appear to be a mixed mediia pro.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fabulous work of art Val. I ADORE your background work....all the layers and stamping and getting it wet and messy...and still having it look so very neat. You really have a gift for telling stories...and yes...I want to read that book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another absolutely fabulous page....love everything about it! So beautiful! Love the journalling and love the sound of the book! I must definitely give it a read sometime! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see we have the same love for books! I absolutely love books...and I've already read & re-read my fave book about 3 or 4 times & sure it's not the exact same thrill of reading it the first time since I already know the ending. But I still enjoy it anyway! For me, a good book is like a good trip--you go somewhere new & when it's a great journey you can go back to that same place & have a good time every time you go back! Great layout & I especially loved the background work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh Val what a beautiful page, totally in love with all that work!!!! How perfeect to have that first sleepover♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Val....hope little Spencer is home with his Family soon.
    Love your gorgeous background layering and details, I enjoyed reading your story...Thanks for sharing. You have solved this case perfectly.
    Love it!! x

    ReplyDelete