Pages

Tuesday, 1 April 2014

BIG TOP

Hello Everyone

A new day, a new month, a new challenge. :)

This is always a busy time with all the new challenges coming out and my first layout is another collaboration challenge with Scrap365 and CSI, and here it is. You can find out how to play along HERE.


Here is my take on this casefile.


Here is how I solved the case.

Scheme - the colours are all there.
Evidence - stripes, flowers, circus themed, tie something, triangles.
Testimony - IW - fun, surprise, show.

My quote on the front of the layout says:
Goodbye, she said I am off to join the circus.

My journalling on the back of the layout says:

I don't ever remember going to the circus as a child. I know the circus came to town because we would see their tents pitched and the pens with the animals and the caravans for the performers but I don't actually remember going to the circus, and I always had this image in my head of what it would be like. 
All glamour... bright big top pitched, twinkling lights and bright banners, gorgeous costumes, wonderful acts, loud music, laughter,  oohs and aahs rippling around the tent and candy floss and popcorn a real carnival atmosphere and at the end of it all a show to top all shows and a night to remember.
In reality, when I eventually took my own children, it couldn't have been further from the truth.
The tent was tired, old and dirty and pitched in the hard earth, some of the lights were broken and there were no banners. The sign at the entrance was old, lop-sided and peeling. The animals in the pens were listless and tired looking. Inside the big top the chairs were hard and the ring was so small. I could see and hear the excited chatter of all the people coming in to claim their seats. The ringmaster came in and the show began. One act then another and so the evening went on, animals came and went as did performers in costumes that were less than glamorous and also looking a little tired and listless running through their performances as if in a trance.
We ate our popcorn and candy floss and there were ooohhhss and aaahhhss around the tent but mainly from the children who were completely enthralled by the show, and it was at that moment that I realised how jaded I had become - when did I lose that sense of wonder and the magic of the fair. As I looked into the faces of my kids with their big eyes and questioning smiles and the look of surprise on their faces as each performer came out to entertain us all I realised that their delight in the little things is the most magical thing of all, and we - the parents and older people - we are the ones that destroy that sense of wonder and excitement in our children and that is a great shame.

Here are some close ups.


Lots of layering. Ribbon tied around the outside circle and my quote written on the inside circle.
The triangle arrows and title was painted with black paint.


The image is one I found on Pinterest and changed it to black and white to fit my theme. I added the flowers and that was me done.

Thanks so much for stopping by to take a look. I appreciate the time you take to visit and leave me a message. It makes my day :)


xox
Photobucket


9 comments:

  1. Hi Val...I am most impressed by your essay about the circus! If this was a novel, I'd be the first to buy and it would be best seller! I always love your journaling and the way you express yourself. Beautiful layout by the way, love the color combination.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asmah - thank you so much for your kind comment. I really appreciate it and I miss you at LS... glad to see that you are doing such great stuff :D

      Delete
  2. WOW!!! Love your layout! So fun and great picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this bold and dramatic use of colour and the evocative photo. Your title creates a theme and your journalling transports me back to my childhood when my Father took us to the circus. Barnum and Bailey and Ringling Brothers used to tour the little country towns and we waited eagerly each year for our treat. Perhaps the tents were tired and dirty, but all we saw was the the sparkle of the glamourous women riding the horses and the svelte trapeze artists high above the crowd. We loved the clowns and the exotic animals, the music and the fairy floss….Thanks for this trip down memory lane :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your journalling always captivates me. you express your thoughts so well.. I love your neat and clean lines in your design and the colors look wonderful together.. and I never thought about joining a circus, I lived on a farm and life for me was already a circus!!hehe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The humor in your art today (thought somewhat lacking in your narrative) is not missed by me. Although I never dreamed of running off to join the circus, I did tell my mother I wanted to run away. She sent me outside to find a long stick. When I returned, she had one of my father's large red bandana-type hankies set out on the table. She had made a sandwich for me and set out an apple and a cookie. She helped me tie up my provisions in the hankie and then tied it to the stick I had found. She kissed me, opened the front door and waved to me as I left. I made it almost all the way around the block before devouring my sandwich and goodies. I then proceeded the rest of the way around the block and returned home. You see, I was never allowed to leave my "block" unless I was with a parent or my older sister. My mother was a wise woman, wise, indeed! But, back to your journaling today! I totally agree that somewhere along the way to growing up, we definitely lose "wonder." And, yes, that is a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous page Val! Love the journalling as always! The colours are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That journaling was a little story and I loved it! I really do think you should write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous page as always Val and of course I love your journaling too!! I'm not sure about us destroying the magic and wonder for our kids though. Unfortunately I feel it is a part of growing up. We start to see the real world and consequently, lose the magic. It is sad though isn't it?? Before I get too maudlin, your page is absolutely fabulous ... love it! ox

    ReplyDelete