Pages

Tuesday, 15 April 2014

GOLDEN OLDIE


Hello Everyone

Today I have my layout for Challenge #28 that is up at Scrap Africa. This challenge is all about distressing with a difference :) You need to distress using household items... stumped? Go over to the Scrap Africa blog and just check out what the rest of the DT has to inspire you.

Here is what I came up with.


I used this sketch from the April challenge over at Purple Pumpkin - I love triangles at the moment, and this sketch was so nice to work with :)

Here is my layout.


I kept fairly true to the sketch and used coffee to distress.

There is a quote on the photo that says:
We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. Anais Nin

My Journalling (on the back of the layout) says:

I love old stuff, and I have often felt that I was born into the wrong era I think I should have been born in the early 20's I think, I love the clothes and cars and the buildings. The older, more worn or rusty the more I like it. Like this car. We went away on a girls weekend to a tiny little town called Ficksburg, for the cherry festival and on the way home we stopped at a little farm stall on the side of the road, out in the middle of nowhere, and there was this old Morris Minor in front of the stall all rusty and broken and totally beautiful. I took loads of photos of her too, and as I was clicking away I couldn't help but wonder what her story was and even in ruin she maintained her dignity - the quote seemed perfect for her and that got me thinking if we don't see things as they are but as we are what does that say about me. 
It says that there is beauty everywhere if you just look. It says we are not defined by others think or say but by what we think or say. It says that I am comfortable growing older. It says I have a story. It says I am worthy and I am beautiful. It says my life has meaning and it says even when I am gone I will be remembered.

Here are some close ups.


I used gorgeous papers from Maja Design that were perfect for the colours in my photos. I used the coffee to distress some of the triangles too and love how this fit with the worn rusty feel of my photo. I doodled around the edges of the papers too and did some random stitching here and there.


I used the coffee to do some stamping, the cup rings and splats, and the cogs fit with my theme perfectly. Firstly they were painted with the gold distress paint from Tim Holtz and once they were dry I used distress stains on them in Wild Honey and Mowed Lawn. When that was dry they were given a coat of crackle paint and the a swipe of dark brown stain and immediately wiped off. The flowers and cotton were tucked in and the title added. The arrows were inked with the walnut distress ink and a stencil.


Lastly I added a couple of butterflies and some bling.

Thanks so much for stopping by to take a look, and thank you for the comments that you leave. They always make me happy.



xox
Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. Well done! You make that sketch look so easy.
    That car is beautiful, even it's rusty and super old :) I really adore this page Val, colors are perfect and design is so cool! Love it <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous, fabulous take on our PP sketch! Looove that you have the coffee stains in there - they look great...& does that mean there's beauty in our rusty-ness as we age??? LOL!!! I hope so....not much left that works without creaking, I'm thinking!!! Fabulous, thought provoking page, Miss Flapper from the 20s!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely, and I am with you.. love old things, especially old sheds and barns in the country.. what stories they could tell!! Love the green gingham papers and love your take on the PP sketch too.. beautiful layout.. and using coffee.. very clever.. would make your page smell nice too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow you have created oure delight here Val, love the papers you have chosen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is meant to be Pure delight ... sorry typing too quickly xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cool old car is the perfect subject for a distressed page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another fabulous memory captured in paper and glue, Val! Some of my favorite memories are ones never expected--like you happening upon this car with a great history all its own! Great photography and journaling, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!! Absolutely gorgeous!! Love the colors and the pictures that you used!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A grand trip down memory lane with this venerable vehicle which has seen better days. I love the rusty wrecks too. Your take on the sketch is perfect for the challenge this week and your journalling is thought provoking as usual. Love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Val, this is so lovely! You have inspired me to use triangles! lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is terrific! I love the cross stitching and those photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This page is gorgeous Val and your coffee distressing is fabulous! I love the design and I loooooove the photo's! I have a little moris minor under wraps and I must really use some photo's...and take some!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful layout Val! Love all the distressing and geometric shapes! The fluttering blossoms look amazing! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your work Val...this is just Gorgeous... a fabulous photo, and journaling....Love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those triangles works so well, I never could have work so well with those! This is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, we are defintely on the same wavelength, Val! We have so many interests in common, it's not funny! I love all this old stuff too...and love to photograph it! Your layout is stunning...again love those papers & the triangles look amazing. Brilliant work :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome take on "my" sketch!!! LOVE how you used the triangles ... they are just perfect! Love the photos and adore the coffee stains!! Thank you so much for joining us Purple Pumpkin!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So soft and pretty! I love the coffee stains...so artsy!
    Thanks for playing along with us at Purple Pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete