Pages

Saturday, 12 July 2014

AFRICAN

Hello Everyone,

Today I have my layout for last weeks case file over at CSI, a bit late posting I know but I have just been to Cape Town for a week on holiday with my DH and some friends. We had the most amazing time and apart from two days of rain we had lovely weather too. This layout just happens to have a photo of Cape Town too :)

Here is the case file.


I used this Page Draft sketch done by Em Stafrace and you can find more of her amazing sketches HERE



Here is my layout.


Here is how I solved the case.
Scheme - the colours are all there.
Evidence - stripes, circles, birds, paint, splatters, flags.
Testimony - Journal four important things about your topic.

The quote on the front of the layout says:
For Africa to me ... is more than a glamorous fact. It is a historical truth.
No man can know where is going unless he knows exactly where he has been and exactly how he arrived at his present place.
Maya Angelou.

My journalling on the back of the layout says.

When you are born in Africa it claims a piece of your soul and even if you move away the call of the wild will remain with you all of the days of your life.
I can't explain what it is like to live in a country that is brutal and savage in lots of ways and yet contains so much beauty it is hard to comprehend.

South Africa is 1 219 090 sq Kms and is home to 51.77 million people. Unemployment stands at 25.25 and is the reason for our incredibly high and violent crime rate. Probably the down side to living here. But....

Cape Town is one of the Top 20 holiday destinations in the world and can boast to have the latest addition to the seven wonders of the world with Table Mountain which is also said to be one of the oldest mountain in the world.

The world is divided into six floral kingdoms. All these kingdoms encompass several countries, and in some cases, several continents. South Africa, which has a floral kingdom wholly contained within the country, is the one Table Mountain alone has over 1,500 species of plants, more than the entire United Kingdom.exception. The Cape Floral Kingdom has 9,600 plant species, 70% of which are not found anywhere else in the world. 

South Africa has the longest wine route in the world. It has the oldest wine industry outside of Europe and the Mediterranean, featuring Chardonnays, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cinsault, Riesling, Shiraz, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinotage varietals. I have done a great number of these wine farms too ;)

The world's largest diamond was the Cullinan Diamond, found in South Africa in 1905. It weighed 3,106.75 carats uncut. It was cut into the Great Star of Africa, weighing 530.2 carats, the Lesser Star of Africa, which weighs 317.40 carats, and 104 other diamonds of nearly flawless color and clarity. They now form part of the British crown jewels.

Seriously what is not to love about being African.

Here are some close ups.

 
This layout is completely different to my normal style and I kind of like the way it turned out. The flock of birds is a stencil that I layered twice to get them across the page and I used black paint. The splatters were made with a distress stain and paint brush.


I layered up some mesh tape, washi tape and some paper behind my photo which is of the V & A Waterfront in Cape Town with Table Mountain behind it.


I added some circles and couple of little flags and a circle stamp. Then my title and my quote.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look and for taking the time to leave me a message. I really appreciate it. I will be back later with another collaboration layout for CSI.




xox
Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. I really like how this turned out, too! Those birds work soooo nicely:) I've gone off on a bit of an 'overkill' tangent with my scrapping lately...so seeing your slightly 'pared back' page, has made me want to go a bit CAS for a change!!!! Sounds like you've been enjoying the 'perks' of being South African, with the wine!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing and I enjoyed your journalling too. Africa is an amazing place and while I have not been there I think it would be excellent to travel over there sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful page...and I love being African too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely layout Val , love the effect of the birds in flight and the birds on the wire and think that the bold hearts are a great contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful geography lesson, Val! Love all the detail--okay, especially loved reading about the African wine country!! Having been raised and sheltered in a small U.S. mid-western town as a child, I was much older when I learned that all Africans are not black, and that many Africans actually must go to a zoo to see "wild" animals! Love this piece and your pride of country!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another beautiful page Val...love the clean and simple lines and your obvious pride in your country. How sad about the unemployment rate which results in high rates of crime. I've not been to South Africa, but you make a great sales person for the area :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous page! LOVE the stenciled birds. And the colors/product used around the picture - just lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see my home town on your page! Great take on the sketch and the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful photo, scrapped to perfection!
    And thanks for the info on Africa....would love to visit someday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every time I see another layout, you show another element of your talent. You employ so many awesome techniques in your work. Great info on Africa, I never new that about the wineries. As one who loves her country, when I see others who feel the same about their own makes me happy.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this, Val...those birds flying across the page like that just really finishes the page off perfectly. The colours are gorgeous too & I love the little bits of subtle texture you've added on the background. AND, as always...perfect journaling that I loved reading about Africa. Brillian take on the CSI challenge :D
    Oh, and I've added a "follow by email" thingo over on my blog that you had asked about (well, I think it was you...lol, my memory sucks!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this so so much. I have been asked many times if there was one place on earth I could visit, where would I go. Africa. Hands down. Originally, my desire to visit was to see wildlife. But as I've grown and learned more about Africa, I've added a thousand other reasons to visit. Such a place of contradiction. Brutality and beauty intricately intertwined. I loved all of the facts you've listed and the birds are just perfection. Brilliant, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Val. This is very different for you but I love it! the birds are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow wow wow !!!! love it love it love it xoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fabulous page Val! Love that photo and such gorgeous colours! That blue is so vibrant and talks to an African blue sky! I so love your journalling and it speaks to my heart...which is African through and through. I lived in England for six years and my heart yearned everyday for a blue African sky, the highveld hotness and the family I had left behind. Coming home was like just coming back to a place where your soul knows it belongs....it's earthy, it's grounded and it's HOME! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed reading your journaling Val.... your layout looks amazing.....Thanks for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful page Val, love the Maya Angelou quote and it was so interesting to read about what your country means to you - your love for Africa really shines through. It's very unlikely that I will ever visit some of these amazing places, but thank goodness that at least we can get a glimpse of what we are missing! :o)

    ReplyDelete