Pages

Saturday, 26 July 2014

OH SO SHABBY

Hello Everyone
Today I have the latest challenge up at Scrap Africa which is to create a layout inspired by this Pinterest Mood board.

 I used the flowers for inspiration and the lovely magenta tones.
I also used this sketch from Em Stafrace over at Page Drafts which I rotated 90 degrees,


Here is what I came up with.


My journalling on the back of the layouts says:
Throughout most of my married life, all but the last year, Simon has never bought me flowers (not even when my kids were born) and I understand his reasoning even if I don't like it or agree with it. You pay a fortune and they die after a few days... Well that may be so but it is a week of sheer pleasure and a feast for the eyes. So I have always, religiously, every week bought myself flowers for my desk in my studio. What I get depends on how I feel... Sometimes I want bright and happy, sometimes I want soft and pretty and I think I have had every variety and colour there is at some point in time. The flowers in the photos are possibly one of the prettiest I have had. In a terracotta pot with a slight green patina it was made up of a beautiful white, with a pink centre cabbage rose surrounded by soft pretty pink rosebuds and in between a very pretty lilac frothy filler. I don't know most of the flowers names and I don't really care. I do know that I don't choose the flowers I think that they choose me and for the time that they are on my desk they bring me unspeakable joy and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Here are some close ups.


I used some of my gorgeous Maja Design papers from the 'Coffee in the Arbour' collection... Do you know how much I love these papers? :) Of course you do. So I started with a cream cardstock to match the papers and used some cream gesso (that was coloured with paint) and then I added a touch of magenta glitter to the wet gesso, some paint splats and some stamping.


I added my layers and cut the window chippie in two and coloured it with distress inks and added a little clear embossing powder as well. I am very happy with how they turned out.


The big flower was coloured with distress stain and mists to get the right colour even though it looks a like more brick colour in the photo. the other flowers and some cotton were also added and a few pearls because you can't have shabby without the pearls.


I punched the edges of the paper and added the title which is also showing a little more red than the purple in the photo.

Thanks so much for stopping by to take a look and also for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it.


xox
Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Gee, Val - this is beautiful! Really loving the paper - I've not bought Maja papers - but I do admire Heather J's work with them....& yours are equally lovely. Maybe those papers are Mojo goer to's!!! And good on you buying flowers....afraid I don't get any often either - & can't quite bring myself to spend the money on buying my own!!! Luckily we grow some carnations at home. Love them:):) Right....rambling now. Better keep going:):)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow oh wow .. this is just glorious , loving the softness and the way you have used the colors .. fabulous x

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous page Val, so many textures and layers, great story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Maja papers which look stunning with the beautiful flowers. To receive the gift of flowers is such a luxury. My lovely daughter in laws sometimes surprise me with a bunch. Thanks for the inspiration Val. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh this is just gorgeous Val, so many delicious details to take in, I love it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning page! Love the beautiful, vintage style colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooohhh!!! I love this Val!! Sooooo beautiful!! I love flowers too and, until recently, my hubby never bought me any either. Must be a man thing!!! Love the soft colours on this page and all the textures too!! Absolutely stunning!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read your superduperlovely comment on my blog Val, thank you so much. I got tears in my eyes :)
    I think your layout looks spectacular, as always. There is so much of details and your use of colors...way too fabulous!! Thank you for giving so much inspiration, and courage to try those colors too! :) Have a great day you <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so beautiful! love the soft palette. awesome work on the background. I also buy myself flowers every week, but then I do hope my boys will learn that they need to buy their mom (wife...) flowers :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is simply gorgeous, Val! Russ feels the same way about flowers as does Simon...and truthfully, so do I. But, on the occasion that someone does sent me flowers, I am over-the-moon excited and walk by the arrangement many times a day just to admire them and enjoy the fragrance. Love your tribute to yourself and your studio!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! So soft and delicate...and you just let your art shine through. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! I love flowers and I love your page! The sketch is perfect for your photos. Beautiful.
    I come from Holland, which is the country of flowers. Most people buy flowers with their shopping as there are so many stalls everywhere and they are affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooh this is stunning, Val!! Such pretty colours with beautiful layers & textures. As always, love your journaling :) So does this mean in the last year that Simon HAS bought you flowers? I hope so. My hubby is exactly the same...not even when our kids were born :(....and still doesn't. So maybe there is hope after all? lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pure shabby elegance Val! Stunning layout! Love the beautiful color palette and all the texture!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a pretty and gorgeous page! Flowers certainly are a treat for me too! I love flowers in the house and in the garden! Beautiful page and love these soft colours!

    ReplyDelete