Pages

Wednesday, 6 August 2014

REMEMBER


Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since my last blog post and I have been enjoying my break from scrapping, especially DT scrapping and I have been playing instead. Here is one of the challenges I took part in.

I belong to a group on FB called 'Can we do that' and Catie Kennedy challenged us to make a layout without any, paint, paste, mists or ANY embellishing of the background page which was to be white or kraft.  You could hear the groans from all around the world to this challenge. :)

At the time I was sorting through my offcuts of papers and trying to decide what to do with them, and in the box were these papers left over from another layout I had done.

Here is what I came up with. 


I love working on a white background so that was an easy choice for me. I also just love these Maja Design papers and I had the perfect photo to go with them.

My journalling on the back of the layout says.

My mother loved sweet peas and I can remember them growing in the garden at the various houses that we lived in and I loved the scent and the pretty colours of them, the delicate petals and the little tendrils that grew off the stems. They are now my favourite flowers too and whenever I see them I am reminded of my mother. I found this photo while I was browsing on Pinterest and I know that if she had ever received this little brown paper bag filled with these beautiful blooms she would have been so happy and so I decided to make this layout for her. Just so that she knows she is never far from my thoughts. The anniversary of her death is just around the corner and still even after thirty two years the pain is as raw as if it was yesterday. There are so many things I wish we had talked about and so many things that I wished I had told her and while I know that she is near it is just not the same. I love and I miss you still mom. xx

Now I love the CAS style of scrapbooking and I am quite comfortable with it but the more I play with mixed media the more I like that to and when I finished this layout I felt that it was so bare ... so I added a little something :D


I added some watercolour and some splatters and then I added gesso to all of the flowers. So what do you think? Which one do you prefer?

Here are some close-ups.


A little banner for some interest.


Some watercolour and some splatters.


Some gesso on all of the flowers and tendrils.


At the bottom too.


I also added this quote to it. The rest is as it was before.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look and thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment I really appreciate them all.



xox
Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful, your LO! I love the colors and the layering you did - and the photo is gorgeous in there. You've mastered the challenge fabulous I find :)
    I had to swallow hard and blink a little when I read your words for your deceased mother. Beautiful but sad.
    xx Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my mother, Val, it was yellow roses. I will never see a yellow rose that I won't stop and remember how much she loved them. For my daughter's wedding in 2010, I carried a single yellow rose pinned to my clutch. She never met my daughter, but would have loved her. For me, it has been 47 years. Thanks for sharing this very personal layout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet layout in memory of what yr mother loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful page Val. I love the colour combo & the story is such a lovely memory for you to have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you made this layout for your mom, Val. So so special and beautiful. The watercolors and the wooden elements bring it together perfectly. I'm glad that you are taking time to scrap for fun and not obligation. Sometimes it gets a bit overwhelming eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a hard challenge, no nothing on the cardstock, pffffff But you did great! Loving and touching how you still miss your mother. The question which one I like more before or after? Tjaaaaa, not so difficult, the color finish it off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A softly beautiful page in honour of your precious Mother. I prefer the page with the softening effect of the MM. My Mother was a great lover of Sweet Peas too. She thought St Patricks day in March was the perfect day to plant them and we all got involved in the gardening. Lovely work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL!!! Oh, the 2nd 'take' of course! I'd be ITCHING to add something!!!! BTW...while I remember, those feathers are from Cockatoos...they like to eat our lemons [mad birds!!]...& they take ink really well, being white-ish, too:):)
    And I'm a big sweet pea fan - can't grow 'em easily this far north....they smell DELISH....funny what evokes memories, eh? LOOVELY colours in your page. Glad you're enjoying your ''freedom":):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. An amazing work of art, the details on ot and colour mix. Wonderful wonderful creation xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Which one do I like better? I'm an Italian girl Val, glitter, sparkle, and bling runs through my veins. Plain just isn't in my vocab ;) So while the original is nice, it needed just a biiiit more cooking :D

    I know your mama smiled when she watched you create this <3 Not a single day, sometimes not an hour...

    Paula xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful page and a wonderful tribute to the memories of your Mother Val!! I lost my Mum just over ten years ago and still miss her dreadfully. My greatest regret is that she never met my Granddaughter ... they would have adored each other. The first version of this page is beautiful but, with the addition of the MM, you turned it into stunning!! Absolutely love it!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  12. GORGEOUS! What a great color scheme and love how you put everything together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful colours and beautiful blooms. I also prefer the added watercolour, doodling and soft touches of gesso. I am glad that scrapping for fun was so good for your soul.xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, soft and detailed page! Love the soft palette....Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha you couldn't resist it could you?! Yes there is definitely something about Mixed Media that is so addictive. It just helps to create a smooth transition from photo layers to background that you can't achieve with CAS pages. By the way did you see in the FB group that I am ordering some gelatos. Am actually about to place the order tomorrow morning so if you want anything FB inbox me first thing in the morning ( no pressure - just in case you missed it...) They are must haves for mixed media. Ain't nothing like ém & perfect for a no mess solution & speedier clean up!

    ReplyDelete