Pages

Monday, 22 September 2014

YELLOW DOOR

Hello Everyone,

Today I have a layout for the new sketch challenge up at Scrap365. This layout was going to be for another challenge too which I missed - which called for black and white plus one other colour. Yellow is a colour I hardly ever use and I am not sure why because it is such a happy colour and so I decided on that for my third colour.

This is the sketch.


Here is my layout.


 I found the photo on the web and it was just perfect for the colour theme and also for my journalling.

My journalling all around the edge of the layout are quotes that say:

When one door closes ... another door is opened. All you have to do is have the courage to step through. Take chances - a lot of them because honestly no matter where you end up, and with whom it always ends up the way it should. Your mistakes make you who your are. You learn and you grow with each choice that you make. Everything is worth it. Say how you feel always. Be you and be OK with it.

My journalling on the back of the layout says:

I don't believe that anything in life is random. I believe that everything that we do every single minute of every single day is made up of hundreds and thousands of choices and every one of these choices has a knock-on effect and these choices make us who we are. I believe that it is not always the choice we make but how we deal with those choices and the consequences of them that determine our course in life and EVERYTHING from what we  choose to drink or eat, to where we go, who we see and what we say impacts on us. We always have a choice and it is what we do with that choice that counts. Apart from the obvious ones I don't think that there are right or wrong choices either. It all depends on what you need to learn. AND I am ok with that.

Here are some close- ups.


I used Bazzill cardstock for the background because I didn't think I was going to do much mixed media and I really hate when the paper buckles. I started off with a brick stencil and some black gesso for the brick work.  I used some washi tape a punched border and some torn strips of paper for length and created the mat behind my photos with the same papers.


I added some rub-ons and used the same set to create my title Yellow Door. Then I decided to add some builders tape and some watercolour and then I added a few splatters. So much for not much mixed media huh?


Just to show you the layers. I love how this layout turned out. It just makes me happy. :)

Thanks for stopping by to take a look and for taking the time to leave me a comment. It really makes my day.

Till next time.


xox
Photobucket

21 comments:

  1. This looks so happy! I love the color combination! I'm so glad that I found a fellow scrapper that hates buckled paper too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val this is just STUNNING ! A really beautiful layout , I love everything about this . Powerful journalling, just brilliant.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. First in this month Val and what a showpiece. I just love love love that yellow. You have used the sketch beautifully. Thanks for joining in at Scrap365 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. STunning....looove that colour combo...it really pops & the bricks [black] look great.....you just need to flip your page over when it's finished & coat it with gesso or even some more paint, then there will be no more buckling....it's like a push-pull effect. Magical:) Then you can use as much MM as you like:):) BTW....I use a Sharpie - permanent marker - with a fine nib for writing on my photos:):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo you found and the way you used the colours on your page compliments it so nicely. I think yellow makes me happy, it is a sunshine kind of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm CRAZY about this layout! My favorite detail is the border-punched newsprint...I also love how the black brick shows through the semi-transparent Washi tape. You've managed to take a fabulous sketch and bring it to a whole new level...BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! Val, this is just amazing!! I love the photo and how you used the pops of vibrant yellow!! Stunning!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    Garden of Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Val this is absolutely beautiful! Gorgeous page (LOVE the colors) and beautiful journaling. I totally agree with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Black and yellow - kapow! The black polka dot pp is gorgeous. This is a knockout. Love the symbolism of the door and the way it ties into your insightful journalling. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loooove this one ... absolutely stunning!! The photo is brilliant and I adore the pops of yellow ... just awesome!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wise old bird you are Val! Love the journaling, the thoughts behind the words and the colours...oh my I LOVE the colour combo!!! A beautiful entry into the challenge,,,so glad you missed the other one ;) Thank you so much for being the first to join us this month at Scrap365, Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I love that colour yellow! It's dark and almost orange. I love the yellow door. It stands out.
    Your journaling is spot-on! So true. I totally agree. As Ali said: You're a wise old bird!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE the limited colour palette & the layering & mixed media! Grrrreat job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your design a lot, thank you for joining Scrap 365 sketch challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. brilliant Val, love the colour scheme and all the yummy details. Awesome. Cheers D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely love the dramatic colors here, Val. And there is truth in that journaling...but that's such a scary concept to accept. Self responsibility for every single action, rather than pointing the finger at "circumstances beyond our control" is a tough pill to swallow, but I completely agree.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a picture! WOW! Absolutely amazing - and the layout around it is totally awesome! Oh, I love this one Val! I haaaave to pin it right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah! This is just stunning! So fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. such a wonderful colours, great work! thank you for playing along with us at scrap 365 <3

    ReplyDelete