Pages

Friday, 27 February 2015

ART JOURNAL PAGES

Hello Everyone!

I finally took the plunge into the world of art journalling. I bought this book a while ago when I was in Clarens with a view to using it for art jornalling and it has lain in my studio - untouched - for nearly a year now. The papers in this book are either kraft or white and all of them are printed with some kind of picture or words or borders.

I have been watching Marta's videos for a long time and pored over her work and wanted to try and do some art journalling. If you have never seen her work I can highly recommend taking a look. 

Well I did it and this is the result.


I chose a kraft background for the first one and started by tearing this image out of a table napkin and adding the top layer to the page using podge. I then covered the entire page with a coat of clear gesso as I wanted the kraft to show through.


Next I used a script stencil with white gesso to create some interest and did some stamping in black ink on the background page. I used red and green spray mists and a lot of water to get the desired effect.


I covered the image and a little way around it with some picket fence distress paint to soften and age it a little.  Then used picket fence distress stain to create the splats. The phrase and word were stamped in black ink.


Finally I used black ink to create some little splats.

This next one was done on a white page that had roses in the top left corner and in the bottom right corner. 


 I covered the page with clear gesso because I wanted to see the paper through.  I used a Tim Hotlz stencil to create the lines coming down the page and the little circles were stamped in black in and then coloured in. The big coffee stains are also a stamp.


The quote was stamped onto white paper and cut out and stuck onto the page and then edged with a black charcoal pencil to create  a shadow effect.


This image is a stamp. The face and one flower which I stamped out three times. All of this page was coloured using Perfect Pearl Mists... I added some dimension glaze to some of the petals just for interest. I shaded around the girl with the same charcoal pencils which I then smudged.

Lastly is this one. 


I again used a white lined page that had butterflies stamped in the top left corner. This time I used a napkin that had this gorgeous image on it and put it onto the page with podge and then gave the whole page a coat of podge. Not the greatest idea because it stays sticky :P After that was dry I used the script stamp again with white gesso.


I used a postmark stamp with black ink randomly down the page. The quote was also stamped with black. This time I used my neo pens to create the watercolour effect. They are like wax crayons but are watercolours. Soft and so easy to work with. I used them to colour in the 'creativity' part of the quote.


The quote was stamped in black ink and the beautiful butterfly is vellum Don't know where I got it but it is gorgeous.

I used the peach and the green for my colour on this layout and I am rather pleased with how it turned out. I think I will be doing a lot more of these. I love the freedom of just creating with no thought in mind of a finished product. This is indeed a journey of self discover.

Thanks so much for stopping by and for taking the time to leave me a message. I really appreciate it.

Till next time - Happy Scrapping!




xox
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Just beautiful and so arty. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you have bring your style from layouts to art journal pages! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have known all along that this was inside you, Val, and I am so glad that you finally began your art journal! You will find art journaling so freeing, as they simple are no rules. Love your pages here, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow I am so excited for you Val! You have taken to art journaling like a duck to water & I love that you are allowing yourself to be messy!! Yippee!!! Brilliant pages. The middle one is my favourite!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow Val, these are magnificent , and woven with love xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on you! And I agree, Marta is amazing.....you've done a fabulous job & all 3 pages are so different. It's great using different mediums, too, eh? I think my fave is that top one with the roses....they look amazing :):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! You have done an amazing job on all of these Val. One would never know it was your first foray into Art Journaling. Looking forward to seeing a whole lot more of these!! I agree that Art Journaling is totally liberating. ox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Val, these are GORGEOUS!! I love all those great details!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three eclectic and inspiring pages Val. It appears that you have a natural talent for art journalling because these are all gorgeous. I especially like the one at the bottom. It's so soft and appealing. Lovely work :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowsers...these are 3 awesome pages....you really have done them beautifully! I love the soft colouring and touches......really so gorgeous! ;-)

    ReplyDelete