Pages

Saturday, 14 February 2015

LOVE

Hello Everyone
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!
I have the new case file for CSI to show you today. They got an awesome and interesting case file with beautiful soft colors for you this week. It's sketch week, which means you also get a fabulous Page Drafts sketch created by The Nifty Pixel, aka our own Composite Sketch Artist Em Stafrace. Digital designers can pick up the digital template for this sketch right here at The Nifty Pixel.
Here is the case file.

Here is the sketch.


You know how to play along by now and if you are in need of any inspiration I suggest you hop on over and take a look and see what the rest of the Design Team has come up with.

Here is my layout.


Here is how I solved the case...

Scheme - the colours are all there.
Evidence - transportation, grid design, circles, paint, pen work, metal, 
Testimony - write about a stage of life. 

The quote that goes around the edge of the layout says:
There is a slow growing beauty which only comes to perfection in old age.. I have seen much sweeter smiles on a lip of a seventy than I ever saw on a lip of seventeen. There is the beauty of youth - there is also the beauty of holiness - a beauty much more seldom met: and more often found in the arm chair by the fire, with grandchildren around its knee, than in a ballroom or promenade.

My journalling on the back of the layout says...
I don't think that we are much different than cars... we are both machines of sorts and we require regular care and maintenance for our longevity, we both reach a stage where the cost of that maintenance outweighs our usefulness too. We both start out shiny, new and beautiful, fast and racy, full of high hopes and expectations and gradually over the years of travelling on life's highways the knocks change us and we loose our luster,  we get worn around the edges and we slow down and we require more care more often. There are creaks and groans that weren't there before and we no longer turn heads like we once did. Sometimes we are relegated to the back burner, parked and just forgotten. Our value diminished by the fact that we are considered old and out of date.
 When I look at an old car like this one in the photo or any one for that matter, or an old person I don't see the chips and the scrapes and all the things that are wrong. I see the years of service, loyalty, love and  hardship and perseverance etched deeply in their bodies and faces. I see the wisdom in the fading eyes and the gentleness of the arms and laps that have held and us and kissed away our pain. The years of love that have made them content and happy.  I see the love that shines around them like a halo and I wonder about the secrets they hold and the stories that they could share. 
Why can't I see myself the same way. I have have lots of stories to tell, I have endured hardships, I have had more love than most people will ever see in a lifetime.  I have wisdom, not the kind that comes from books maybe but the kind that comes from living on the streets and facing each day in the harsh light of reality. 
I am all to aware that I have wrinkles and crepey skin, that my boobs and butt are saggy, I have cellulite and stretch marks AND every one of these marks is the reminder of the fact that I have lived and loved and fought my way to where I am today. I should be proud of my marks and not trying to shy away from them and hide or camouflage them.
We live in such a throw away world that it is easier to just replace or refurbish, reconstruct and repaint. We are taught to keep up to date with the newest this or that, we have forgotten to put value and respect on age and experience. That is where the true value lies, if we just learned not to dismiss so quickly.

Here are some close-ups.


I loved this case file... it just came together so easily for me and the sketch was amazing to work with. I chose to add some glitter paper for the shiny stage of life and then I added the cogs for the workings of the machines and I covered them with paint and copper leaf to give a rusty effect.


I added a metal zipper pull to the flower cluster. My title was cut on my Silhouette machine in the glitter paper and I painted the inside of the letters too.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it and they make my day.

Till next time - Happy Scrapping!





xox
Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. So pretty, I love all the layered trinkets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning page Val ♥ I love that quote you used around the edge...I might just steal it and use it somewhere on my blog. The contrast between the rusty gears and the flowers are just wow! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous all round. And I was waiting, waiting to see if you told us what you'd used on the cogs/wheels. THANK YOU!! They look in far better condition than me. Being over 50. Sigh. Sagging is a curse!!!! Thank goodness for small boobs [FINALLY]...at least they ain't got so far to fall!!! So, obv, can relate to this page!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a Joy when a page comes together so quickly and so perfectly. The use of soft and hard elements, as well as pretty and grungy, works so well with your theme. Great shots of the old car and your reflections about growing older really resonate with me. In some ways it feels like fighting a lost cause and in others just trying to maximise what's left. Love it Val. Thanks for the inspiration :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. everything looks fabulous, love the rustic touches and great sketch too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely loving the vintage car theme and the great touches of steam punk too.
    Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great lesson to be learned from the combination of your layout and your journaling, Val! Both are thoughtfully created. Both were thoughtfully enjoyed. Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely page Val! I love the subtle symbolism of the cogs and the flowers.
    Your journaling is superb. Your description of growing old is too true. You are absolutely right of course.(including the sagging)
    Great that this page came together so easily. I'm struggling with this one. I've never done pastels and I hardly have anything in pastel colours....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another fantastic layout! Love your arrangement of flowers and those gears, perfect with the old car pics!! And I love the purple!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to start following you because you used the word ass in comment on Helen's blog & well, I popped over and those cogs were amazing, the words you used made me think, and your blog looks amazing....hugs for being real.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful layout Val & I agree with my mate Mitra - those cogs look amazing!! I see you have the twisted flower stems down to a fine art now too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an attractive page....and the photo's are amazing! I love "old" things too....each one surely has a story of their own to tell! The cogs are super and I love how you altered them! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whohoo! so love those cogs, just awesome job! absolutely loved reading your journalling Val, the sagging I can totally relate to. Alas gravity has greater effect on my girlies than on Lizzy's :) Keep coming back to the cogs, they really look absolutely smashing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete