Pages

Saturday, 7 November 2015

CSI CASEFILE #181 - FLY

Hello Everyone!

Today is the reveal for the new Design Team over at CSI I am happy to announce that I am returning to this wonderful team and community and I am so grateful to Debbi Tehrani for this opportunity. If you haven't played along before I suggest you check it out. As this is a major case file it will be open for the entire month of November and includes a stunning sketch by Em Stafrace over at Nifty Pixel


Here is the sketch


This is my take on the case file.


This is how I solved the case. I kind of adhered to the sketch ... sort of.

Colours - They are all there
Evidence - Kraft background
        Thin stripes
             Transportation
 Stamps
       Cogs/Gears
Testimony - Document a trip

My journalling (on the back of the layout) says:

I have not always loved to fly. My first two times were extremely traumatic for me and I was in no hurry to board a plane any time soon. 

I was eight years old the first time I was put on a plane with two of my three younger brothers and sent to another country to go and live with an aunt. My mother was pregnant with my younger brother and was not able to fly for another three months after us. I am sure there were very valid reasons why we could not all go together but none of them would have made sense to an eight year old. I felt abandoned and so afraid, nothing was familiar.
 The next time I flew again I was twenty-five, I had gotten a call from my dad to say that my mother was in a coma and that the doctors expected the worst. I had no choice I had to fly to see her before it was too late. I still remember that flight like it was yesterday. Simon was not able to come with me so I had to go alone, I had no idea my mother was so sick, nothing had been said and I was beside myself. I remember getting to the airport to the check in counter and NO TICKET. I had left it at home. Luckily we lived close to the airport and Simon went home and collected the ticket for me and I was checked in. I went into the departure lounge and sat in a chair scared and sobbing. A very flambouyant lady - middle aged - came and sat next to me and started talking to me trying to calm me down. All the while she spoke she stroked my arms, hands and back and she calmed me down.
My flight was called and I gathered my things and went to the boarding queue - she waived and drifted off into the crowd. It was only once I was on the plane that I noticed that ALL of my jewellery had been removed - my rings, bracelets and necklace. 
She took advantage of my situation and stripped me and I never knew a thing until it was too late.
That trip just went from bad to worse. I did however get to see my mother, she did come out of the coma but she did pass away.

The next time I ventured onto a plane I was forty-five and Simon had successfully conducted a management buyout for the company he worked at and took us all to Mauritius to celebrate. Since that time I have flown almost every year and I have never looked back. If I blocked myself to flying on those first two experiences I would have missed out on a whole wide world out there.

Here are some close ups.


I painted and embossed the title, gears and little arrow with black distress paint and embossing powder, after it was all embossed I swiped the edges with gold. The angel wings were painted with distress paint and topped with a layer of crackle paint. Once it was dry I  inked with dark brown ink to accentuate the cracks.


The stamped sentiment says give me wings and I will fly. It got a bit hidden but I am ok with that.


I did faux stitching around all of the papers and flicked some brick distress stain.

Thanks so much for stopping by to take a look and for taking the time to leave me a message. I really appreciate it.

Till next time - Happy Scrapping!




xox
Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. AAAAAH! Nothing like getting back on a DT to HAVE to create, eh???!!!! I'm sure the floodgates will open now! LOOOVE this - thought it was digi it looked so perfect for a minute! ADORE that paper you've used in the big banners....& of course, your story was absolutely fascinating. BOOO HISS to that LADY? LADY???!!!!! So glad I can come by and comment again:):) Keep 'em coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations for being on the DT. Your lay-out is beautiful! Is the plane the first of a series of lay-outs about your 3 months away? I hope so. I love this one. Very bold and simple actually, but really eye catching.
    Of course your story makes it super special. What a story that is! What an absolutely vile woman! I'm glad you did get over it eventually and now enjoy travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Val on rejoining the CSI Team!! I'm sure they are thrilled to have you back and I'm happy you're back too! Love this page!! A great mood board and your take is so gorgeous. Love the photo and the faux stitching too. What an incredible tale of your first flights. I'm not really comfortable flying but if I'd had those experiences I don't think I could ever have gone back on a plane. Hope that so and so bitch got whacked in the face with karma somewhere along the way. So glad you were able to get past all that and that you enjoy flying now. I know you enjoyed your prolonged holiday but it is nice to have you back Val!! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on being back on the talented CSI team Val. Your layout is wonderful; I love the use of colour and the faux stitching - the flowers are great highlights with the cogs. However, as you know, the story telling is the icing on the cake for me. Your "voice" is powerful and brings your feelings to life, all these years later. What a hideous woman to take advantage of your distress and rob you of your precious things. Thanks for sharing your story :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you for getting back on the team.. this layout looks wonderful.. love the colors and found your journalling inspirational.. yes flying is an amazing way to get around and see the world.. but how awful of that greedy woman, I do hope karma has repaid her 10 fold..

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! Amazing and beautiful page!! So happy to see you creating!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful layout Val! Love your choice of pretty patterned papers and beautiful blossoms! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Val on being chosen again for this super team! Woop Woop! So super! ;-) A gorgeous and fabulous layout too....love your design and the little pops of red! Flying has been a part of my world for a long time, but I still always get a little nervous and sometimes still need to take some ginger tablets! LOL....a real woosie I am!!!!! He he he

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on being on the CSI DT again...you were missed. I love this page...the soft papers with the bright embellishments are gorgeous. Great take on the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both your journaling and your art are compelling here, as always, Val! I am touched by both. I am glad to see you back at CSI!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so good to be seeing your inspiration pieces again Val. You certainly do have some stories to tell and I very much enjoy reading them. You've done a great job with the sketch too. Thank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear about those nasty experiences! Especially the one with that horrible lady - things like that should never happen to anyone at all and I hope Karma catches up with her. But then, so glad that you overcame your uneasiness and yes, the whole world and all its wonders are open to you now!

    This is such a pretty page, you made it look shabby with your excellent choice of papers and it's a wonderful interpretation of the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic page Val! Great photos! Love all the blossoms! Congrats on your DT position! So well deserved!

    ReplyDelete