Pages

Monday, 16 November 2015

CASE FILE #182

Hello Everyone!
I am so late this week but I finally have my layout for the new case file over at CSI. I really love the spring colours of this one. I hope that if you haven't already played along that you will give these challenges a go. They really are a lot of fun and they do just that - Challenge you.
SO... pick up your forensic kits and let's get sleuthing.
Here is this weeks challenge.
See, aren't the colours so pretty.
I used this sketch from Page Maps to kick start my mojo.

I loved this design so I pretty much stuck to it. Now I am not really comfortable with mixed media layouts. I am more a CAS kind of a gal where the photos and the journalling are most important so I have decided not to go with the trends but to stick with what makes me most comfortable. So here is my layout another clean and simple one.

This is how I solved the case.
Scheme - 
The colours are all there 
(I used the darker green from the photo)
Evidence - 
Gingham/grid
Polka dots
White background
Leaves/vines
Ribbon
Wet medium
(The distress ink splats and watercoloured stars)
Testimony -
I really screwed up on this one because I totally forgot about this part of the challenge. I have so much on my plate at the moment, but I made a plan.
The quote on the front says.
Flowers don't worry about how they're going to bloom.
They just open and turn towards the sun.
Jim Carrey
My journalling is on the back side of the layout and I have done it in the form of a recipe.
HOW TO GROW A BEAUTIFUL CLEMATIS

Choose a well established looking plant in the colour of your choice.
Mulch.
Limestone if your soil is acidic.
Compost and fertilizer.
Sturdy trellis or an archway for it to grow up.

Clematis needs space to grow - it can grow up to 10 or 20 feet. It likes a sunny spot with good drainage that is slightly alkaline.
Make sure that you dig the hole bigger than the container that the plant is in. Compost and fertilise the hole well and be very careful when planting it as the roots and stems can easily be damaged.
Water weekly for the first season to help get the plant established. If it makes it through the first year chances are good that it will continue to thrive.
Clematis are happiest with cool shade at their roots and warm sun on their foliage. Mulching around the roots will help keep the soil cool, as will the foliage of a low-growing perennial.
Most Clematis are born to climb and they use the growing end to find something to grab hold of so make sure that the trellis or arch is not to thick. The more grabbing opportunities you provide the better
Clematis will need some pruning but they vary so leave last year’s vine until mid-spring so you can see if the flowers are growing on new stems or the old ones.
A  beautiful Clematis is something to behold. I found this one in Spa – Belgium at a little restaurant we went to for a late afternoon lunch and it was really the most beautiful one I have ever seen. This was the first time I had ever seen one for real and I was blown away. After reading how to grow it I think I will give it a miss. I don’t have very green fingers and I am likely to kill it. I will just admire them from afar.

Here are some close-ups.

I did some doodling around the papers that I used and also stenciled some stars around that I painted with the pink distress stain. The stars were cut using a Tim Holtz die cut which is one of my faves. Also some fake stitching because I am not much in sewing. The tickets are stamps.


I used a distressed looking line stamp on the white cardstock to do my quote onto and the title was painted with distress paints in two colours to get the same shade as the flower.
I HAVE been playing with some mixed media and saw this card done by Shari Caroll on the My Craftsy site so I decided to give it a try. I really like mixed media on cards especially ones like this. See no buckling - who knows I may get to love it. 
I think I like it here because the papers didn't buckle, man I hate that :D
Thanks for stopping by to take a look and for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it.
Till next time - Happy Scrapping.
xox
Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Pretty layout. Hmm....I wonder how you solve the case. I really have to study!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giggles! Love your treatise on CAS V MM!!! I reckon do what you feel at the time. Your clematis page is awesome....love those stamp tickets...clever!!! And funny how a photo -even if it's not of the actual place- can take you right back there:) want a Lizzy hint that works a treat? Do your MM page. Let it buckle away merrily. Once dry, turn it over & brush with gesso or paint or any wet medium. It will then dry your whole page flat. Zeneva told me that & it's the BEST hint ever!!! I guess you could start with having it gessoed - but I've never tried it that way. Always created,mother flipp, the gessoed the back & it works!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Lizzy will give it a try :D

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous page Val!! Absolutely love your CAS style and you should simply do what is comfortable and happy for you. Love that you wrote a recipe for growing Clematis (love the photo too) .. great way to correct your little omission. Your card is so gorgeous and you do MM so well!! Absolutely fantastic post!! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful page!!! LOVE how you solved the case with the black and white and color photos!! Just stunning. And that card is beautiful!! The mixed media on it is amazing. Glad to see you posting again!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic projects Val! Love the layout! Great mix of papers, photos and stars! The card is beautiful! Love all the texture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on both projects, Val! Like you, I will have to pass on the clematis. My thumbs are brown, brown, brown!! Love how you give attention to detail--like mixing to get just the right color for your title. That's art! Sweet mixed media card with lots of texture. Not a fan of pink, but it is perfect here, I must admit!! Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another stunning layout Val! I love how you've used the colour scheme, and I must say that I haven't made an attempt at growing a Clematis either, although I would love one in my garden...sigh....one day maybe xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just go with what gives you Joy - no point fiddling with the MM if it causes you distress. Your C&S style always looks stunning. As for the clematis - how stunning, but having read your instructions, I would not be brave enough to try one here in our searing heat - it's 40C today! Love, love the shabby chic card :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about buckled pages! I just figure they'll flatten in an album :P Great work once again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the beauty of the simple straight clean lines of your page. So good to see you scrapping again...I am sure it was therapy among your busy time ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great page. Simplicity is elegance.

    P/s: I use watercolour paper as my base and it takes "wet abuse" without buckling. Mixed media is really fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A pretty and beautiful page! I love the design and styling, clean and fabulous! The theme gorgeous too...I love a Clematis and used to have a beautiful one when I lived in London. I have not been so successful with them back home! ;-) Love your beautiful and soft card too....love the shabby chic look! Wonderful! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is amazing. I can never do CAS because I'm such a messy person to being with and yours is telling me - "this is the most organized person ever and she really knows exactly where everything is"! love love love the tips on gardening too!

    ReplyDelete