Pages

Saturday, 18 February 2017

TOGETHER

Hello Everyone!
Time for another blog post. 
I just love Laura's sketches over at Stuck?! Sketches and the February 15 one is a cracker.
I also joined a whats app group of local girls called 'Mystery Box' where each girl gets to give and receive a made up pack and the receiver has to make something - any paper craft - using all of the stuff that they receive.
Now I lost all the stuff on my phone when it got corrupted so I don't have a pic of the pack that I received from my bestie Ilse McCarthy but it was the Penelope Dee Cocoa Love Mini Collection.

So I received all of these papers PLUS a rose die cut, three rose stencils, small, medium and large, a rose stamp and some filigree looking metal hearts that you can colour and use they are just gorgeous.

This is what I came up with to use all the stuff.

Firstly a layout.


I stuck pretty much to the sketch and as I am more of a CAS style scrapper I didn't use any texture past or stamping on the background which I felt was busy enough.

My journalling - which is on the back of the layout says...

I have learned so much being married to this man of mine for almost 40 years. 

A good marriage will have it's share of conflict, frustration, boredom, unresolved arguments, slammed doors and nights spent in the spare room. The thing is to have enough good things to balance them out, that is what makes it all worthwhile. All these ups and downs are necessary in order for you and your relationship to grow healthy and strong.

There is a big difference between being happily married and living happily ever after - that seldom happens. No-one is happy 24/7, everything takes work and compromise and the thing about compromise is that no-one wins.

When you think to yourself - "I really shouldn't say this" - you are probably right and that also means not saying things in anger or when you have been drinking. Once it is out you can't take it back. Saying afterwards that you didn't mean it doesn't cut it.

It is all about give and take and you will be alternately giving and taking at different times. It is important that each of you knows what it is that you will take care of in a marriage, work, home, kids, finance, and sometimes that too will change. It is a constant negotiation, which will also change over time.

The grass is not greener on the other side. Either there is more crap or they are watering it. You can do the same on your side. Marriage can make you a better or a worse person - the choice is yours.

Would I change it? No! Not for anything. It is the best thing that I have ever done and I am looking forward to the next 40.

Here are some close -ups.


I fussy cut some of the flowers to add some dimension to this layout and add some layers. The bow was created with two lots of ribbon tied twice to make it full.


I used the heart doilie behind the wooden looking heart which was fussy cut from one of the papers. I added the little sayings and the red hearts... I diamond glazed them to give more depth.


I also did some fake stitching around all the elements to make them pop more. The title was painted with two shades of distress inks in brown and then coated with diamond glaze.


I coloured one of the metal hearts with gold distress paint and then once it was dry coloured it again with two shades of pink distress stain.

Then because I still had unused products in my kit I made a card for a friend who has a birthday.


I used the medium stencil with some texture paste that I coloured with distress pain in pale pink. I love the softness it gives. I layered one of the 3 x 4 cards with another of the hearts that I stamped on using the stamp. I used the same colour brown to stamp with so the effect is very subtle. More fussy cut flowers layered up and then finished it off with a ribbon.

I finished of the inside of the card with the die cut flower and a Happy Birthday sentiment.

Thanks so much for stopping by to take a look and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it :D

Till next time - Happy Scrapping!




Hugs
Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. So beautiful Val. I love the journalling and it holds true about marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful page Val .. a fabulous take on the sketch. Love those papers and the fussy cut flowers add lots of interest and dimension. Your journaling hits the nail right on the head. In marriage, in most relationships really, compromise is essential. There really are no winners or losers in any argument because both of you are affected no matter which way it goes. As long as the good times outweigh the bad, then it's all worth while. Hubby and I are coming up to our 50th in a couple of weeks and, like you, I wouldn't have ever changed a thing.
    Adore both your layout and your card .. stunning work as always!! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful page and such a gorgeous photo! A fab sentiment to hubby too! It certainly takes 2 and one has to really tough it out sometimes and other times things are just dandy!!!! Beautiful and soft card too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photo and page, Val! Love your layering, and that paper is just awesome! Love this so much! So happy you played with us at Stuck?! Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful page Val and a great take on the sketch. You made good use of the pack and I especially like the fussy cut flowers to create dimension. The repetition of hearts throughout is perfect for your theme and the card makes great use of your left overs. As always, your journalling speaks with an authentic voice. The joys and sorrows of a long term relationship, can be demanding and most of us can relate to the compromise which results in harmony. Congratulations on 40 years together; that's an amazing achievement in these time of disposable everything. Thanks for joining us at Stuck?! Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this so much Val, the colour sand fussy cut elements plus the circle of flowers are so divine! Thanks for joining us at Stuck?! Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Totally adore your journaling...it is so true....I kept nodding my head! Would you mind if I shared it with my son & his wife? I think it is so beautifully 'put', your 'Treatise on Marriage'.....as for the page...it is just yummy! Love the way you've used the hearts and altered them...those flowers look great & the whole colour scheme is gorgeous....as is your card. And MAN! That was a great collection of goodies you got to 'play' with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are both wonderful! I love your heartfelt journaling too. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally gorgeous page Val - great sketch and I love how you've worked it. Great idea to fussy cut some of the flowers like that. Beautiful pic of you two! :o)xxx

    ReplyDelete