Pages

Friday, 3 February 2017

WHY I SCRAPBOOK!

Hello Everyone!

I have a couple of layouts to share with you and this first one is my layout for the Stuck?! Sketch challenge for February 1.

Here is the layout.


Here is my take on this sketch.

As I was browsing through a couple of the groups I belong to on FB I saw a layout done by a lady who suggested that all scrappers should do a layout on why they scrapbook. Do you think I can find it now? Nooooooooo! Anyway I decided I wanted to do it because so often people say you do what? Why would you do that? A bit like the reaction you get when you tell people you are a stay at home mom. 


The quote on the front says...

'A picture is worth a thousands words, but a scrapbook is worth a million memories.'

My Journalling on the back of the layout says...

1. I don't want my kids to have thousands of photos and not know who is in them or where they were taken, or what they are about. All of my childhood photos were lost in a fire and I have a few that I have begged borrowed and stolen from family and friends very few of them are of things I remember. Both parents have passed on and I have lots of questions and very few answers and I don't want that for my kids and grandkids. I want them to be able to look at their albums and go back to that time through my eyes.
2. Scrapping is like Chicken Soup for the Soul, and scrapping hard or painful memories can help facilitate the healing process by letting you voice your feelings about that particular event. You can then start focus on all the positive aspects of it.
3. It helps me to de-stress and it calms me down. It is my happy place and somewhere that I can be alone with my thoughts and fears without fear of being ridiculed. It gives me a great sense of well being and accomplishment when I am scrapping.
4. It allows me to be creative in a way that pleases me. There are no rules and I can do or not do whatever I like. I can paint, draw, doodle, write. Play with paper and paste or ribbon and flowers. Do very masculine pages or pretty feminine ones. No-one else has to like it or approve of it.
5. I want my family to know who I am. What I like and don't like. Where I came from. What my dreams were and how life turned out. What I survived. What challenged me. What I am grateful for and most of all what they mean to me.
6. It allows me to express myself in a way that I find non-threatening and confrontational. I am more able to articulate myself by writing than I am by talking, and I love to tell my stories.
7. I love to take photos of everyday life as much as the big moments and it is the everyday that I miss from my childhood.  I want my kids and grandkids to know about the funny, quirky, naughty, scary moments as well and the happy, grand and important ones.
8. It is a hobby and I think it is very important for everyone to have a hobby. Something that you are passionate about and love doing.
9. It is very social and I have met the most amazing women through this hobby of mine both in real life and on line and I wouldn't change a thing. It has brought so many women and a few men from all countries and walks of life together with one common goal. To scrap our memories.
10 They also make awesome gifts :D
When you start to scrap your story you start to see life for the precious and tenuous thing that it is.

Here are some close ups.


These papers came from my stash and I have no idea whose they are but they were really pretty and in colours that I love. I chose the ombre effect paper for my background and I followed the sketch pretty much without changing it :D I used washi tape under the photos through and not a punched border.

I cut the star and the hearts out of glitter paper on my Silly machine which I am starting to love. The butterfly is a resist canvas one also from my stash that I painted with watered down TH distress paints.


The journalling card and the chevron one next to it are re-cycled packaging from my stash and I love the faint script on the journalling one... except now in the photo is looks like I didn't rub out properly :/ The aqua hearts were also from my stash and were orange and bright blue so I painted them with distress paint. I added some Heidi Swapp colour shine splatters in gold to carry on the gold theme.


I found the grey sticker sheet in my stash and used that for little saying and for part of the title. I am loving mixing it all up.
Lastly I had to add some flowers and used a pop of the raspberry pink to finish it.
I may get brave and add my journalling to the front of the page too.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look and for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it.

Till next time - Happy Scrapping!



Hugs
Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. Ah Val, the reasons you scrap are so similar to my own, I relate to each and every one of them. I love that you scrapped yourself in your happy place and adapted the sketch to suit your theme. Love the ombre paper and the gold star. The canvas butterfly is divine. Yes, live is precious and tenuous and your children will know through your words, just how important Scrapbooking is in your life and in theirs. Thanks for playing along at Stuck?! Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a masterpiece, Val! A treasure, and fact. Brought back so many wonderful memories for me about the time that I was scrapbooking. I have gone on to other things that I enjoy just as much, but after reading your personal thoughts, realize how much I do miss it. I think the motivating factor for me in making a change when I did was the fact that getting pictures was so very difficult for me. I would sometimes even use random photographs from the web just so that I might participate in challenges. Some families seem to take a lot of pictures, others, like mine, not so much. Today, I mostly see my grandkids on Facebook. I am so happy for you that your grandchildren and your children are so near to you. Well done, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So.... now I do NOT need to do one on this subject cos you've said it all. "hear hear" is all I can say! It's all so true! And I do love the way you've scrapped with stash. Love that raspberry flower & the touches of blue & the mixed up alphas..... I would LOVE to scrap with you in your room..... that would be way impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I so love this Val. Seeing this gorgeous page and reading about why you scrap is really heartwarming. The page is just gorgeous! Love that ombre paper and love your take on the sketch. Love the glittery star and the hearts and that canvas butterfly too. Everything is just perfectly placed and just beautiful!! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful page! Great take on the sketch! And I love the story behind it!!! Thank you for joining us at Stuck?! Sketches! Hugs Åsa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val, this is absolutely stunning. I really love the journaling and it is absolutely true. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...beautiful page and love the design and styling! Such fabulous sentiment and journaling too! Scrapping is definitely food for my soul too and through it, I met you and so many other wonderful ladies! Definitely a win win!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this layout is so gorgeous!!! I love the colours!! What a fabulous idea to document the reasons why you scrapbook! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Stuck?! Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous! I think this is the first time I have ever seen a layout pertaining to why we scrap, and I just love it! I have enjoyed reading your reasons why. Thanks for joining us at Stuck?! Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Val, I love every single little thing about this page, from the topic to your stunning embellishing! Thanks so much for joining us at Stuck?! Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your layout - first time at your play - love the design & header!

    ReplyDelete